+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Idaho Fly Fishing Trip

Default Idaho Fly Fishing Trip

Planning Fly fishing trip to Idaho Panhandle federal forest and Yellowstone. Any help or sugggestions or info would be appreciated. I am going to stay for a mounth or more depends on the fish

Thank you

Standstall

standstall;
    Welcome to the greatest fly fishing site in the world.
    We have a lot of members from Idaho in here and I'm sure they'll jumping in with good information. Good luck and keep us posted on how you do.
    I've fished in the Bitter Root's and the Chalas area. Got to get back there soon!!

------------------
    Don't forget the Michigan Fish-In August 14th to the 20th. The Holy Water's of the Au Sable await you!!

Cactus

Can't go to Idaho without visiting the upper Selway. In addition to providing excellent fishing, it may be the most beautiful river in the world.
    I wish I could go with you.

Bob ...

------------------
    There is a fine line between fly fishing, and standing in the water waving a stick.

[This message has been edited by Sawkill (edited 06 June 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Sawkill (edited 06 June 2006).]

Blog Entries

Im new to fly fishing so others will be better able to answer your questions about where to fish, When are you planing to come this way?

Eric
    Lewiston Id
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Standstall,

If your thinking about early fall, join us in Lowell, Idaho for the October Caddis hatch and some very good fishing on the Selway, Lochsa and Clearwater.

Check out the links for the Idaho Fish-In on the left. Last week in September.

If your going to do a summer trip, make sure you check stream flows before you leave. There's been some major snow this year and it may take a while for the runoff to drop and the rivers to clear.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Standstall,
    Welcome, and come back often. If you're planning early to mid summer (June/Aug)you may want to check out the St. Joe, or the North Fork of the Coeur d A'lene. Those two are my most frequented waters. If you are planning late summer to early fall (Sept/Oct)definately check out the Lochsa and the Selway. Those two are my favorites. FAOL is going to spend a week where those two rivers meet, the last week of Sept. Bring LARGE orange caddis flies.
    You don't know how lucky you are. I just gave away my best secrets.

------------------
    Life, is the time He gave you to determine where you want to spend eternity.
    ----------
    Lotech Joe
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Yet another vote for the Selway. It is very good fishing for cutts, and is probably the most scenic river I have had the pleasure to fish. I love the beautiful white sand beaches there.

As for Yellowstone, it is a beautiful area, but if you want to fish the big name rivers (Yellowstone River between Lake and Hayden Valley in particular ) be prepared to see more than a few people. Still despite the people, I usually make a yearly trip into the park to do a bit of fishing. Also keep an eye on the water temps for the Firehole and the Madison since they tend to get fairly warm because of the thermal activity.

No matter where you go in these beautiful areas, you can find good fishing.

------------------
    Take care everyone and cya around. Mark
    Take care and cya around,

Mark

Timing is everything for Yellowstone. I believe the River opens July 15th inside the park, though the Lake is open to fishing as long as it's ice-free. Fishing those lakes can be an absolute blast. Bring a float tube or toon boat, use full sinking line (at least a 5-wt, 6 is better for battling the wind), and black, olive, and brown buggers and leech patterns. I have caught some absolute HAWG cutthroats in Yellowstone Lake, one day we must have landed over 200 fish between 4 of us. And that was fishing from 7 AM until about 1 PM!

Email for more info if you'd like...

Marty

[This message has been edited by MrFishingToughGuy (edited 08 June 2006).]

There is a ton of stuff to do and see in a month in Idaho.

Henry's Fork of the Snake
    South Fork of the Snake
    The Teton
    Silver Creek
    Wood River (big and little Wood)
    S. Fork of the Boise
    Plenty of stuff around Powell-Lochsa, Sawkill, St. Joe, Kelly Creek

Makes me wish that I hada month to kill in Idaho.

I want to thank all the fly fisherman that answered my post about Idaho fly fishing trip. Iwill check out all those rivers. My wife and I will be going next summer. I dont want to rush this trip I retired this year and I dont want make any mistakes on this trip. my wife and I have talked a lot she said lets fish as much of idaho as we can and not worry about the time.

Thanks again

standstall

+ Reply to Thread