+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cabelas reel

Default Cabelas reel

Any opinion here about the Cabelas Prestige Plus reel?
    Thanks in advance amigos
    Waterfox

I had one that came with a combo. It was a perfectly acceptable reel for trout fishing where you are basically using the reel for line storage and drag smoothness isn't a big issue.

I dropped it on a wooden deck and a foot broke off, so it clearly isn't the sturdiest one out there. I would have understood the break much more if I had dropped in on a rock.

If that is all that fits your budget, go for it. If you think you might ever drop it, upgrade.

Works well for me! I have it for my 5 wt. Only thing is that it is a tad bit bigger than other reels so it looks kinda awkward, but works great. Haven't gotten into any big fish so I really can't say how well the drag works, but for the little'uns works good.

I have one that I recently picked up..so far it seems like a very good and workable reel...haven't caught any huge fish with it however it worked well on the trout and smaller bass that I have caught...haven't dropped it yet so I don't know how it will stand up to those types of things..I believe it all will depend on what type of fishing you will be doing, how often you go out, and what your budget is...as we all know you can always spend a lot of money for reels,rods, waders etc. if you like..but sometimes budgets force you to by what you truly need...

I have one on my 3 wt. and reall like it...it's a tad heavy but I'm used to that (I still use an old Pflueger Medalist for most of my trout fishing) so it's a non-issue. I would agree with the "tough" issue since, even though I have not dropped mine, I can see a few weak spots that could break it dropped...
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

I have one for my 4wt and 1 for my 8wt.

works great in both ranges n/p with the drag for bass and pike (8wt).

------------------
    More the fishing than the fish

[url=http://flyfishingmanitoba.com:abda3]Fly Fishing Manitoba[/url:abda3]

I have the standard arbor Prestige it it's an alright reel for the money. I friend of mine bought one of those SLA's and that one seems very nice.

I have a cabelas CSR, which I have no complaints about. My girlfriend bought a cabelas combo that came with the prestige it seems fine she fished in the catskills. It wasnt quite loud enought for me but that is a personal thing.

have one i use for steelhead in winter-have caught about a dozen with it-biggest about 12lbs.-had no problem??

I have the Prestige plus for 8wt. Have used it in the salt with no problems

------------------
    Bill

+ Reply to Thread