+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hey You Sage Heads...

Default Hey You Sage Heads...

Just fell in love with an XP 490 again after a few years of separation. XP's and SLT's were made from graphite IIIe, and I have enjoyed many of those rods. I never could understand what the deal was with the G IIIe was, coming after the Durascrimm Graphite IV? The natural transition should have been from IV to V (graphite 5). How did Sage and Jerry Siem get to this alternate material yet be so very successful with it; only to develop the 5 just shortly thereafter with the TXL and Xi2's? So what really is the deal with the IIIe? All I have been able to find out was the graphite was about 57million modulus. Sage does well to keep their secrets.
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

Blog Entries

Appalachian Angler,

Glad you 'rediscovered' your XP. I have several XP's, a 9 ft,3wt, 2 pc, and an 11 ft, 6 wt, 4 pc and I really like them both, they are a great fast rod. I don't get into the materials that make up the rods, if they cast like I want them to and handle the fish like I want them to, then I like them. I have an older SP 6wt, 9 ft, 5 pc that I take with me as a back up rod in the event of an accident and it can handle anything, from chucking and ducking streamers to nymphing to dry flying. I like Sage's two medium action rods they made, the old VPS Light and the ZXL, both are great rods for dry flying. That said, I also love the way my Circa slow action rod casts dries, fantastic. Yup, guess you could call me a Sage Head. Larry ---sagefisher---

The XP has been one of my favorite line from Sage 490, 691, 791. I have been a Sage fan from their beginning having owned In the past rp, rpl ,sp, LL ,still own 490 SLT still my favorite dry fly rod . For nymphs 490 XP ,496 Z axis tried a 590 one a friend liked it better than I did so he owns it now.but I also like other brands also, Glx classics, Echo, new favorite Hardy zenith one piece 4and5 wt. so different .I maybe a gear whore.

Marketing. It's all about marketing.

After my 390 SP I wondered how they could ever get better, like with all the SPLS's that have etc. I'm still not sure they did. I bought 'em anyway. Still have them, even though I mainly fish bamboo for trout now, for the last decade.

There was post in the "Wanteds" not long ago for a Sage SP390. Since I rarely fish mine anymore I considered it, seriously but couldn't part with it in the final. Same with my SPL's. Nice rods indeed, all of them.

Marketing!

+ Reply to Thread