+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Legendary Elkhorn

Default The Legendary Elkhorn

Received the new Elkhorn Monday and finally got a chance to really look at it today!

First impressions are important things in life and I got some great ones!!
    First of all, when JC sent it to me, he put it in a piece of 2" PVC pipe. The rod case fits perfectly in the pipe and is well protected during shipment.Thanks JC!!
    The cap on the rod case comes into view first and it is very nicely done. Good solid brass, I think, that is threaded very well and tight. The cap is fitted perfectly to the case; another well done touch there.
    Bringing the rod out of the case, one is impressed with the rod bag the rod is stored in. Since I'm always in uniform on duty, this really caught my eye. It is like starched and ironed kahki and once again, well done. No extra threads or anything hanging from the fabric, just a sharp looking outfit.
    Now the rod!! OH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!
    This is not the first "boo rod I have handled and I have studied the building of bamboo rods for several years. A bamboo rod is an engineering masterpiece, IMHO, and this one is right there too. No glue lines, the barely visible nodes are properly placed, and the light colored finish is perfect! Just look at the burl in the reel seat and those silver rings!! QUALITY ALL THE WAY!!!!!
    I build custom 1911's and spend a good amount of time with calipers in my hands so I measured the rod in several places.TOTAL UNIFORMITY!!! A smooth taper throughout the length of the rod which will carry the stress right on down into the butt of the rod when fighting a good fish. Great balance! Love that slow rythmnic action. I've been building glass and graphite rods for over twenty years and will have to slow down my cast and let the "Big Thompson" do all the work. The thread work is excellent and the calipers reveal, once again, total uniformity in the length of the guide wraps. The wraps are beautifully, simply, elegant, befitting the masterpiece that a well made cane rod is.
    My girls will be purchasing the Elkhorn Classic reel, for Fathers Day, to complement this rod. Through the fifty six years of my life, I have learned that it costs more to go less than first class. The Elkhorn Company has the reels that will fit and compliment their rods and there won't be any guessing or wondering if the reel feet are too thick to fit the reel seat, etc., so that is the way I'm going on this Legendary rod.
    I have cast the SYLK lines with John Channer, a builder of fine "boo rods, and love how the silk line "whispers" as it goes through the air as opposed to the louder "swish" that the plastic lines make. Cortland doesn't make any junk in their products, so I know the SYLK line will be a perfect match.

Thanks Elkhorn and all the FAOL sponsors!!!
    Thanks Ladyfisher and JC!!!!

Jack Hise and REE; Don't ya love it??

Andy

------------------
    all types of fishermen must pull together for the good of all!!!

[This message has been edited by buttermilk (edited 07 June 2006).]

Andy,

Yup, they are a mighty fine casting tool. Well put together, light in the hand and easy on the eyes. Combine all that with a slow action that puts a little grace in your casting, the whisper of line through the guides and a presentation that lands a fly as soft as a feather, and you've got a winner.

Coongrats again on the win.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Wish I could have seen the look in Andy's eyes as he opened the rod tube for the first time. Reading his description is almost as good as being there. I'm thrilled you were the one who received it!

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I have been waffling between an Orvis Superfine Trout Bum and a Diamondglass, but after your description of this rod I may have to throw another into the mix. Congrats, sounds like a quality stick.

Well finally someone has given the Elkhorn import reel the praise it deserve. I don't own one but if I needed another reel I think the classic would be a good choice for the money.

I can understand the importance of a fine qualily fly rod, but even a fine quality fly rod will perform less then it maximum potential using a fly line that does not measure up to the fly rod in quaulity.

I have use the Cortland "Sylk" Fly Line, and I truly think that is the best line out there for most fly rod situations.

I have a South Bend Model 52 (3 piece, 2 tips) that sat in someones closet for 50 years, because of lack of silk fly line). It has begun to sing its song over the waters, since I started using the Cortland "Sylk". I even bought a 4 wt WF "Sylk" for my short St. Croix Avid 3 peice (6" 6"). I have a Scientific Angler 4wt WF line that I used to compare between the two lines, the "Sylk" does more, with less help from my casting (terrible at times). I never ever cast with silk line, but now I can understand what is so special between a fine a fly rod and a line that can equaly perform with each other. ~Parnelli

buttermilk;
    Mine came today and I was speachless. You echoed my reaction perfectly!! Thank's for telling it how it realy is to handle an Elk Horn Bamboo. Can't wait to fish it!!

------------------
    Don't forget the Michigan Fish-In August 14th to the 20th. The Holy Water's of the Au Sable await you!!

Cactus

I have that rod and the Sylk line. When I got mine the first fish I caught were some 3" bluegills. The sensitivity of the rod made the catching of those small fish fun. Since then it has taken some larger trout and does a fine job with that as well. Enjoy it, it works as nicely as it looks.

jed

Andy, that was a fun read. Reminds me of one of my favorite Christmas mornings. I hope you have many happy years and catch many memorable fish with this rod.

You are so obviously pleased wth it that I will stop composing my protest letter to JC & LF about how they must have chosen your name in error, since I had been destined to win this rod.

I have this exact same outfit (rod, reel and line) and have fished it for two years now. You will be happy to know that it seems to get only better with age! Enjoy it.

+ Reply to Thread