+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Too Simple Fly

Default Too Simple Fly

I admire all the fancy flies that are submitted by the members. I started out this as a joke but then decided to just show you a simple fly that catches fish for me when chasing panfish and those Brookies

Instructions: 1. Go to Wally World and buy some binding cord. It comes in many colors. 2. Get a hook about size 10.
    3. Get some black thread. 4. Tie the cord onto the hook using the black thread. 5. Your done!!! Unless you want to get fancy and add some sparkle nail polish from the dollar store.

The fly in the top has nail polish. The bottom is as naked as a plucked chicken.

There you go. Again I wish to thanks all those who submit patterns to FAOL. And a Merry Christmas to all.

TimBraiding Core.jpg

I've always been a fisherman first and fly tier second -- ie, I'd rather fish than tie flies. So I can appreciate a fly, like yours, that's easy and inexpensive to tie, durable, and effective.

Just to continue the thought ... A friend of mine turned me on to a very simple fly that he calls the "simple killer baetis nymph". He uses black thread, ties in a few dark fibers for a tail, winds a thread body (thicker in the thorax), ties in a flash wingcase, and coats the whole with SHHAN. In the right size, this fly works as well or better than any other Baetis nymph that I've tried. And, it's super easy and cheap to tie and very durable.

Merry Christmas.

Good show. I'm reminded of about half a century ago when I started. From "ground zero" I colored white cotton tying chord by soaking it in strong tea. What goes around seems to come around. Merry Christmas to all.

I seem to remember reading about an fisher somewhere in England who used what as children we called "Visitor Sticks" the Tubular hard stick like bits found in Tea Leaves that float in your tea by impaling one such stick with a small hook and then proceeded to catch a trout or two.

Proving the point that Simple can be a tasty morsel to the wily old trout. Have Fun.
    Getting OLD is For Old People.

Have Fun Stay Young Go Fly Fishing!

I tie almost that exact fly, (October caddis), just add a simple sparse black soft hackle.

This fly is a killer swung for cuts, I landed a 10lb steelhead on that fly also. More fancy doesn't always squall more fish.

Great post.

Quote Originally Posted by Panman View Post
    I admire all the fancy flies that are submitted by the members. I started out this as a joke but then decided to just show you a simple fly that catches fish for me when chasing panfish and those Brookies

Instructions: 1. Go to Wally World and buy some binding cord. It comes in many colors. 2. Get a hook about size 10.
    3. Get some black thread. 4. Tie the cord onto the hook using the black thread. 5. Your done!!! Unless you want to get fancy and add some sparkle nail polish from the dollar store.

The fly in the top has nail polish. The bottom is as naked as a plucked chicken.

There you go. Again I wish to thanks all those who submit patterns to FAOL. And a Merry Christmas to all.

TimAttachment 12490
    Last edited by stcroixguy; 12-23-2013 at 01:37 AM.

+ Reply to Thread