+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cost of tippet material

Warren you and I think the same. Thanks for your words.

Tim

I have been tempted to use fishing line instead of tippet, but when I look critically at the sizes, I always decide to go with the (smaller diameter) tippet.

However, I refuse to pay the $15-$18 retail price for a 25 m spool of fluorocarbon. I look for sales on fluorocarbon tippet (which really does not degrade over time like nylon tippet) and stock up when I find a sale. For example, I am expecting to receive 4 spools of Seaguar fluoro tippet today that I purchased at Sierra Trading Post for less than $5 per spool. Another approach is to use the coupons that Orvis sends out ($25 off on a $50 purchase) to buy $50 of tippet for $25, which comes to about $6 per spool.
    Last edited by jgrossing; 12-13-2013 at 10:35 PM.

Thank you, Panman. Your post was appreciated.

If anyone is interested in what I use for tippet, here is a link to what I use. I always transfer from the larger spools to smaler spools. I always have a smaller spool of 4 pound test and 6 pound test with me. I have used their 2 pound test for furled leader and it has worked out fine.

If this link is not permitted, just delete....

https://www.troutmagnet.com/store/Tr...ne-c-9_24.html
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

If I were wanting to save I would start from the top rather than the bottom. I am 71 yrs.old and semiretired fly fishing for over 40 yrs.I need to save all I can also. So I tend to look for deals on Rods,Reels but not on tippet. I learned a lesson about tippet a few years ago, when flour first hit market I refused to pay the price . Was fishing with couple of friends one was out fished 4 to 1 because of refusing to pay the price for flour tippet. The only difference was tippet. It proves this old dog can learn a thing or two.

Somehow the idea that 'tippet' is better quality than the 'lines' has become accepted as fact.

I challenge that point.

I also challenge that 'thinner is better' with fluorocarbon.

Remember that manufacturers rate tippet and lines differently. Tippet tends to break right at or very near it's 'rated test'. Lines tend to be quite a bit stronger than their rated test. You can check this yourself. What this means is that we look at the rated tests and then the diameters, and believe that one is 'stronger' because it's rated the same with thinner diameter. But what we actually have is one line that is significantly stronger than the other. The actual test to diameter of each line is about the same, with the real 'strength to diameter' battle ALWAYS going to the regular flourocarbon fishing line rather than tippet.

If you don't believe me, test it yourself. I have.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I'm also on board with Warren & I also use 4lb or 6lb mono (good ol' Clear Blue Stren) as tippet off a furled leader. I occasionally will use 6x or 7x tippet off my furled leader when very small flies dictate a smaller diameter leader.
    BTW, if you've fished with Warren (as I have) & OUTFISHED him, you should brag about it! He knows what he's doing & I often pick his brain for information.

Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Mike,

Thanks for the kind words! I do not feel that my equipment helps me with my "catch" ratio. The only thing I do different then most is that I "fish" my flies harder. I am a firm believer that you must get your flies to the level where the fish are. Most fish do not look for your flies and go for them. Most are caught because you put your fly in front of them at their level. To do this takes a lot of consentration and hard work. If on the first pass I do not get a "take" and I honestly feel there are fish there, I will stay with that spot and work harder to put a fly at the depth I feel the fish are. I am not always successful. It is a challenge that I look for and enjoy. I just love a fly rod and love the surroundings of a river. A river or a pond is much easier for me to "pick apart" than a lake. I try very hard to teach my style of fly fishing to the boys at Arrowhead and to the disabled vets and I wish I could say I am very successful but I am not. If you are not willing to work hard at fly fishing, you may be disappointed but if you are willing to put forth the effort and work, it is the most rewarding sport out there.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I use Trilene XL monofilament in 4 and 6 lb test for 95% of my fishing, and have never worried about it. When I step down to 2#, I grabbed a small spool of Berkeley Vanish fluoro...... and the trout didn't seem to mind at all.
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Tippet is just mono (or fluoro) that has been "pre-stretched". That's why it's thinner.

In the November article I tried to describe tippet/mono/floro strength. Diameter may be the more important consideration, except for warm water where the fish aren't very line shy.
    I only buy tippet for 6x and 7x because I can't find spooled mono that fine.
    "So many people are out there doing things they call environmentalism, but only because it's politically correct or has a lot of cache."

+ Reply to Thread