+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Supplies for Me.

AlanB Guest

Default New Supplies for Me.

Today I went to a friends to drop some flies off and found these in his back garden.
    Birds.jpg3 Ducks 3 hens. One of the hen necks was quite badly damaged so I left that. One hen was black with a little brown. My friend wouldn't let me skin the bird but I got the cape off it. The final hen is a dark Greenwell's. Very well marked. I made sure I got the cape off that one. As I don't have any borax I'm drying the skins in salt.

The ducks provided me with lots of large flank feathers for Wally wings. (I will have several hundred Wally Winged Wullfs to tie for a shop I supply in a few months time) and some CdC. I was disappointed that the duck wings were rather tatty so I couldn't utilise those for winging quills. However, I have been told that soon I will be getting several dozen pairs of hen pheasant wings, which I will dye up various colours.

I'm a happy camper today
    Cheers,
    A.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanB View Post
    I'm a happy camper today
    I bet you are!

Cheers,
    Hans W
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

That is a great friend to have although some might object to his taste in Christmas tree decorations...

Alberto

Blog Entries

Having made the mistake of using salt years ago on materials I cringe when I see someone else making the same mistake.

So very little salt is required to rust out hooks that may find a seriously unpleasant surprise when a wet fly gets put back in a box... and suddenly you open the box a couple days later to intense rust on bunches of flies...

I wash most of my skins and do not hesitate to do it every once in a while. Our very dry winter air makes hackles brittle... I would wash the salt off ASAP and replace with borax...

Otherwise, good score!

Quote Originally Posted by AlanB View Post
    The ducks provided me with lots of large flank feathers for Wally wings. (I will have several hundred Wally Winged Wullfs to tie for a shop I supply in a few months time)
    I'd love, if possible, to see a picture.

AlanB Guest

There isn't a lot to see just now. Just newspaper and salt. I haven't been able to get hold of borax around here, and didn't want to leave them while it arrived mail order. Once done I will.
    Cheers,
    A.

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
    That is a great friend to have although some might object to his taste in Christmas tree decorations...Alberto
    The kind of folks who would write a letter to the editor while chewing on a chicken tender.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

AlanB Guest

Fortunately, here in the Highlands, people still have some connection with their food, a sight like this is more likely to result in the comment "lucky beggar" than an adverse reaction.
    Cheers,
    A.

+ Reply to Thread