+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: would you buy from a small flyfishing company

While I make a point to support the small retailer, I hate dealing with small manufacturers/suppliers, unless as Silver Creek pointed out, they offer something unique, and even then I am hesitant.

There are a ton of bargain basement hook manufacturers for example these days, but I am picky about what hooks I use but once adopted when I need them I need them NOW, and not when the next slow boat from China arrives. For something like a vise, I need to know the manufacturer will be around for spare parts in 10 years. For rods, reels, waders etc. with warranties as mickmcco argues, I want to know they will be there to support that warranty.

The fly fishing industry if filled with small time operations becoming established brands. TFO and Echo for example are relatively new kids on the block but have made some very big inroads. Their product, however, was sufficient differentiated by price from the norm that they were able to create a new market in their own right. There is still some room at the bottom end of the price scale, but that is also where the lowest profits lie...

In a nutshell, my fly fishing dollars go overwhelminly to established companies, not because of name recognition, but because of the past history and anticipated longevity. YMMV.

There are no big fly fishing companies. Even Orvis and Sage are small by corporate standards. Scott, Winsto St. Croix, all very small companies by corporation standards.Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

Depends on the item.
    Would not do so with a rod. One of my favorite rods is the Hardy Zenith. It uses a proprietary Syntrex blank which somehow embeds nano sized mica particles throughout the blank. These big rod companies spend years developing the design and materials to bring about strong, lightweight pleasures to cast.

When it comes to small artisans who use common materials, I would. There are some very talented, relatively small operations making great vises and reels, I believe.

20 minutes from the Great Smoky Mountains N.P. and lots of cool water fishing.

I think Warren is really on the right track with this. I have only been fly fishing for about two years and started with a Big5 Sports special, which was perfectly fine until the tip decided to go swimming when a tree trout broke the leader. Now I have a Reddington CT 8'6" 5wt, with a Reddington reel. Got these for Christmas last year to replace the Big5 special. Now I don't know anything about the big name, over priced rods and reels, but i do like what i have.

But I do know golf, having played it for more than 40 years and tried about every brand of club there is, including the small shop no names. And there is the same situation in that sport. There is the name equipment with high prices and then there is the second tier with frequently just as good products at a fraction of the cost. I started with a $69 set of Northwestern clubs and only replaced the woods in the 20 years I used them and played as well or better than most the people I played with and many of them playing with top tier clubs. Then I had the chance to buy a set of top name, pro level irons for a fraction of their retail cost. The guy selling them bought and got rid of 2 - 3 sets of top tier irons every year, selling for a fraction of what he paid. Biggest mistake I ever made golf wise. Absolutely hated playing with those clubs and consequently started losing interest in the game. Finally bit the bullet and bought a set of knock off irons and really enjoyed what I played with for another 10 years.

More than a decade ago I got the bug for "better" clubs and spent 6 months hitting everything in the club houses, golf shops and demo days, paring down the list of acceptable clubs until I was down to 2 brands, both top tier manufacturers, both name brands and well respected. And after hitting just those two several times, I chose the set that was $400 less, not because of price, but because I couldn't tell $400 worth of difference. Been playing these clubs for more than a decade now, and still can't find newer clubs that will help me play better. And the manufacturer of the clubs I bought is no longer in existence, and frankly after more than a decade with these clubs, I don't care.

My suggestion, not qualified to give advice here, go out and try anything and everything you think you want, small shop or big name, find what you like and can cast best with, no matter what the name or lack there of, and stick with it. Go and try some of the newest, latest and greatest once in a while, and see if it would make you a better caster, buy it no matter what the cost. If not, keep using what you have and enjoy your hobby. I do, with what many would call second class tools, for both golf and fly fishing.
    Gordon
    Live every day as if it were your last.

Who doesn't like finding a bargain, especially on some quality item or product. But the bottom line for me is still trying to buy "Made in the USA".

Thanks for the replies,
    My question was not directed to the start ups offering cheaper products but those making top level rods and reels for a price comparable to the top end name brands. With these company's you may not have as much history with their lifetime warranty but when you call the company the owner may answer the phone. does a small company that is pushing the 100% made in USA have a chance to break in to the High end market?

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    Depends on the item.
    Would not do so with a rod. One of my favorite rods is the Hardy Zenith. It uses a proprietary Syntrex blank which somehow embeds nano sized mica particles throughout the blank. These big rod companies spend years developing the design and materials to bring about strong, lightweight pleasures to cast.

When it comes to small artisans who use common materials, I would. There are some very talented, relatively small operations making great vises and reels, I believe.
    Byron,
    as much as the rod manufacturers would like you to believe they are developing the graphite technology this is not really true. Materials have been developed for the aerospace and military and anyone with a checkbook can buy them (there are some that can only be used by US residents for military security purposes i have read in one manufactures adds). In the would of graphite, fishing rods are a very small player. The closely guarded secrets are the manufacturing techniques.

My first thought is Burkheimer - they don't come much smaller than that. Wonder how they got their start?

Quote Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
    My first thought is Burkheimer - they don't come much smaller than that. Wonder how they got their start?
    Burkheimer and Meiser are two companies that come to mind that I would have no problems buying from.

I'm not as concerned about warrantees as some. The companies mentioned above have track records. There is no guarantee they will be around in 10 years (Sage either for that matter). But, if I break a rod 10 years down the road, it's served its purpose and it's probably my fault anyway.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by birddog View Post
    Byron,
    as much as the rod manufacturers would like you to believe they are developing the graphite technology this is not really true. Materials have been developed for the aerospace and military and anyone with a checkbook can buy them (there are some that can only be used by US residents for military security purposes i have read in one manufactures adds). In the would of graphite, fishing rods are a very small player. The closely guarded secrets are the manufacturing techniques.

Actually, we are beyond graphite now. We are in Boron.
    The Hardy Syntrex rods are proprietary and can't be used by other rod manufacturers. If it were available to all, other companies would be building them as well.
    In addition, the design/taper of the rods represent many man-years of research and field testing.
    With any product, the manufacturer must recoup all their R&D. Granted, a lot of what gets built into the cost of rods is advertising and retailers' compensation. But, that's always been the case in our economic system.

+ Reply to Thread