+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nymphing: Strike Indicator or not?

I always use an indicator. A thingamabobber to be specific. Only time I don't is when I am dredging with heavy weight and want to feel the weight "ticking" the bottom on a tight line.

I use an indicator because I can follow it and mend the line for a good float, knowing the nymph is probably directly beneath. I don't use the bobber to ensure the nymph is the perfect depth, but to keep me interested. If I fish without the bobber then I just get bored as there is not much to watch or change (IMO).

Didn't Issac Walton Tenkara fish with his long rod and line - since he did not use a reel?

Blog Entries

Greg,

The fly fishers from old Europe all used very long 'rods' which were often thin green saplings that were tied together to form a very long pole and had a horse hair line tied to the end. If they got a fish they simply walked backwards until the fish was flopping around on the shore. Reels wouldn't be invented for hundreds of years after people first fished this way, or maybe I should say thousands of years if you want to follow fly fishing back to the area of the birth of civilization.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Quote Originally Posted by NJTroutbum View Post
    I always use an indicator. A thingamabobber to be specific.
    Don't fish nymphs too often, but when I do, I like the Thingamabobber, too. Pretty easy to cast and depth adjustment is user-friendly.

Regards,
    Scott

A Thingamabobber has helped feed my family more than just a few times! I catch many fish every year nymphing weed beds for big bluegills.
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

For river nymphing, you betcha! I use pre-treated floating yarn or indicators made with ram's wool and a piece of 16g wire insulation to snug it down. I use as little as possible needed to suspend the nymph and adjust for depth.
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

Let me first say that an indicator makes me a better fisherman...I shudder to think of the trout that I have missed not using one. I'm sure I'll catch some flack from the "homemade" is better crowd but I use the New Zealand Indicator system and absolutely love it. It is simple and seemingly floats forever. I have tried ALL of the available indicators at one time or another and have found nothing to compare to what I presently use.
    My 2 cents.
    Bernie

+ Reply to Thread