+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A question about reels

Default A question about reels

What exactly is the difference between a reel designed for one line wt. and another line wt (lets assume were talking about the same model). For some background. I have a 3wt. TFO and have been looking at ross rhythm reels. Are the line wt.'s for a given reel determined by the weight of the reel which I can assume would be better fit for balancing a fly rod of that same weight? Or is there something else that plays a part in what designates a reel for a 3wt line? Would it be better to go lighter and (if I ever needed to) use the lighter reel with a heavier line than to do the opposite?.

Larger lines are thicker, requiring more space to hold the line. In addition larger reels are usually used for larger fish which may require more backing to play your fish. The reel designation also relates somewhat to the balance the rod and reel will give you as a combination, though this last statment is much up to the preferences (and imaginations) of reel designers and builders.

Another generality is that when using rods that are in the 3 wt. class you rarely see your backing and the drag is less important so it is not as critical to make the exact match.

That being said, it is always good to stay close to the rod designation when buying a reel.

jed

I wouldn't fret over it that much. Reels are designed to handle a range of line weights such that you can fit a reasonable amount of backing on the reel when using any lines in that range. The overall weight of the reel is also expected to balance the rod somewhat. Generally speaking, reels which are sized for heavier lines will be heavier and the rods that match these lines are also heavier. The increase in reel weight that you get for larger reels tends to follow the increase in weight of the matching rods so that balance is maintained. This is all approximate stuff though, and I wouldn't get too hung up over it.

The size of the reel determines what weight rod to put it on. Weight can vary greatly by who manufactures it and how it is made.

2.75" diameter reel 0-3 weight line
    3.00" diameter reel 2-4 weight line
    3.25" diameter reel 3-5 weight line
    3.50" diameter reel 5-7 weight line
    3.75" diameter reel 7-9 weight line

This gives you an idea. The info came from a catalog I have. The amount of backing varies with each reel. The smaller a reel is of course the less it weighs (in the same model).

[This message has been edited by ridgeliner (edited 05 June 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread