+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to plan an Alaska trip?

Default How to plan an Alaska trip?

My dad has some frequent flyer miles that he's willing to burn on an Alaska trip for the two of us, plus my brother.

I realize that planning a trip like this probably is a monumental undertaking, so I told him I didn't see how we could get it together this summer if we just started talking about it last week. Am I correct in this thinking?

More importantly, assuming we plan for next year, what is the best way to go about planning an Alaska trip? I think this would be mostly a fishing trip but the other might want other activities in the mix as well.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Think of all the bad things that could go wrong between now and next year that might prevent you from having this trip together. Then get going on making your plans! Carpe diem!

Lots of lodges up there, they may email you with info as to what they offer. Smart starting early. You might try to decide if there are any certain things or fish you all must do on the trip.

Personally I would rather drive than fly and rent a car. But that's just me. I love the Alcan, and it's not that long. If you're bent on flying and driving, the best thing is to fly into Anchorage, rent the car or RV, and head down toward the Kenai area to fish.

If you want to have an unforgetable trip, buy the book, the Milepost. Here's a peak: [url=http://www.themilepost.com/:730da]http://www.themilepost.com/[/url:730da]

It's the best thing to have along with you. We first used it in 1971 when the Alcan was mostly dirt. Now it's mostly paved...except for the sections that they repair. And they repair different sections every year.

The best way to see Alaska as a tourist is by trailer or RV.

Can you do it this year? Yes. Can you plan every hour and micro-manage every detail: plan now and take the trip in 2010.

Alaska is not the place to plan every detail. It's more like: "Let's head down to Seward and catch some reds," or "Let's go to Homer Spit and go halibut fishing." The Russian River is a great place. Avoid Ship Creek in Anchorage. Avoid Anchorage itself except for the airport, an amusing museum (lets not get into the million dollar bus stop), etc.

Denali is a beautiful trip, and you can catch couple of fishing places there, too.

July or August is good, and you can actually do it this year, too.... You need to be flexible.

PS--Just remember, they may look like hummingbird, sounds like hummingbirds...but they are really mosquitos...

Thanks D., good advise. There are little state owned cabins too that you can rent cheap. A book about 'Alaska on a dollar a day' is out there.

Little Rock AR, wishing I was still in Anchorage, AK

Are you sure you want to come to Alaska? Its not all that its cracked up to be.
    But if you have your heart set on coming up here id start planing now, but make your plans flexible so you can hit up the right spots when your here. Rent a RV if you can so you dont have to worry about finding a place to sleep, then get in it and drive away from Anchorage in either direction and go fishing.

Oh when you come up here read the regulations once, then twice, and then read them again then maby you will understand them.

[This message has been edited by PaGuy (edited 30 May 2006).]

Little Rock AR, wishing I was still in Anchorage, AK

oh if you are going to be doing fishing on the road system check out the book called "HIGHWAY ANGLER" it will probably help

Check out these guys.....they are very friendly and helpful [url=http://www.alaskaflyfish.net/index.htm:46c0e]http://www.alaskaflyfish.net/index.htm[/url:46c0e]

I appreciate everyone's replies. Diane, driving for me involves at least a couple thousand more miles than for you, so while I would love to do that, I doubt we will.

First thing you need to decide is what time of the year to be going.

If you want to concentrate on Rainbows then I would shoot for August/September. This time of the season is also prime time for Silver Salmon.

If you want Kings and Reds then you should be looking at June or July.

July is usually a great month for Salmon fishing but not the best month for trout.

Be aware that if there is road access then there will most likely be alot of other people around.

The only sure way to assure avoiding crowds is to do a fly-out. Be aware though that even some of the fly in streams will be crowded though.

I spent years guiding in Alaska. If you need additional info contact me and I will be glad to help.

Rob

+ Reply to Thread