+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stuck ferrule

Default stuck ferrule

I cannot get the butt and next section separated on my Access rod. I've tried behind the knees and hot and cold treatments to no avail. I'm about to send the rod back to Orvis as a last resort. Is there something else I could try? Tx

What did you try for the cold treatment? I've heard of using canned air before, but now I see that butane (used to re-fill lighters) seems to work better.

Regards,
    Scott

NEVER put the rod behind your knees, bad-bad-bad. Get a buddy, each of you grab both sides and pull together. A little paraffin wax will stop this from happening
    again.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Cold always does it for me. Icy cold. Ice water. I see you're in Hailey. Set it in some snow. (I miss Silver Creek!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    NEVER put the rod behind your knees, bad-bad-bad. Get a buddy, each of you grab both sides and pull together. A little paraffin wax will stop this from happening
    again.
    Here are a couple videos of the technique Ray mentioned...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8bOgtWtrNE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e28jCUYCkU

Might do the trick.

nice videos Royce. I tried to verbalize the four handed technique in your video but completely confused myself when trying. Picture is worth a thousand words

Here's the big problem with the behind the knees, first you can lose your balance, fall and break your rod. Second, the biggest problem, when the rod comes apart the force of the release sends the rod into the floor and it breaks.
    Try rubber jar openers for a better grip too.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Quote Originally Posted by fritz View Post
    nice videos Royce. I tried to verbalize the four handed technique in your video but completely confused myself when trying. Picture is worth a thousand words
    Not only that, but the goof-ball in the first video with the pliers and the hack saw just made me giggle out loud!

Blog Entries

I have gone back to using a quick paraffin rub on my ferrules before connecting the rod sections, helps out a lot. Once stuck, the number one choice for me is the four handed technique. If I am alone then I use the non-slip material method. I carry two 4 inch square pieces of the stuff in my vest at all times and oh yea, it also works on some of those really hard to open beer bottle tops that have sharp edges on them (or so I have heard ). Ice applied to the male section of the ferrule is also a decent way to go, but it is hard to find ice sometimes, and it does not always work as it should. I stopped using the behind the knees method years ago, I realized just how much stress I was applying to the rod and it was not always an even pull. Back when most rods were two piece rods this wasn't nearly the problem as it is now, but I sure like those 4 piece rods. Larry ---sagefisher---

If the problem is lack of grip, you can use a piece of matt underpadding or the thin open-weave foam used to sometimes line kitchen drawers or shelves.
    Rug-Pads.jpg

Or you can create and use the following (which I have done twice).
    This is a device that I 'invented' to separate a stuck rod (my own, 2X) when all else fails. A saltwater FF?er in Florida quoted me on the web after I had emailed him this suggestion and he got his 12wt Sage apart, so I guess this idea has some credibility. Actually a picture here would be worth 1,000 words.

To get an image of what you are trying to achieve, picture putting a giant clothespin (the pinchy kind with the spring) around your rod. You will make it loose enough to slide about 2" or 3" up and down, on the MALE side of the ferrule, and then slide (whack) the device up the rod (with a bit of force) to tap the top section off. It takes about 6 or 8 taps. So create something that looks like that, made out of pine (softwood).

Method 1) Find a 2"x2" about 12 inches long, and drill a hole through it about 1.5" from the end - WITH the grain. The diameter of the hole is just bigger than the male portion of the ferrule. Then split the piece of wood lengthwise, through the center of the hole.

Method 2) Find 2 pieces of 1"x2" and bind them together with elastics. Drill a hole about 1.5" from the end - using the seam as the center line of the hole. (Remember the image of the clothespin.)

Clamp the wood around the rod with elastics and tap the top section off the bottom (male) section.
    Last edited by Greg H; 11-09-2013 at 05:07 PM.

+ Reply to Thread