+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What "Exactly" is a "searching pattern"?

Exactly. (It was whatfly's point - I was only trying to explain it, although I agree with it.)

Yes, many attractors have specific situations where they do double duty as imitations. Renegades make good midge clusters; they also work well when certain dark caddis are on the water, but they're still generally thought of as attractors.

OTHOH, an elk hair caddis is designed to be an imitation of a caddis -- I don't think anybody calls it an attractor -- but for many people it's their goto searching pattern.
    Bob

Blog Entries

Thanks to all for their input.

Blog Entries

I had also asked Blue Ribbon Flies if there is a difference, as I really respect their opinions.

Got this response from Bucky at Blue Ribbon Flies. He is one of their top tiers and sort of runs the shop there.
    His answer is to my question whether there is any difference between an "attractor" and a "searching" pattern.

"Byron,

Craig is off for the fall, so I'll answer the question. There is no difference between the 2.

Bucky"

Sure, that has already been said. You did not ask if there is any difference between a "searching" pattern and an "attractor", however. As stated, all attractors are searching patterns, but that does not necessarily follow that all searching patterns are attractors.

Of course like so many concepts in this sport, the meaning is subjective. YMMV.

Blog Entries

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Bucky's is that there is "no difference" between the two. It is my opinion as well. IMHO.

Most attractor patterns resemble little in the forms of a hatch. They tend to work off of a hotspot of color or a particular movement or flash of material. A Royal Coachman, Turks, Patriot, bright humpies....etc. Many of them may have a down or upwing profile....but most flies do in general.

Most of what is referred to as a "search" pattern tends to be a fly that resembles a hatch on a particular water. Something that while not matching a current or non-existent hatch, is familiar to the fish and is a logical "guess" as to what may pound up fish. A Caddis, Stone, Haystack, Adams, Bivisibles or even a Wulff tied to match a local hatch in size and color.

Is it an approach?....yeah. More so than a tying style. And an attractor pattern can double as a search pattern. But generally the reverse wouldn't be thought in the same way.

I would say it is a little grey at best. I would not identify any one person as being the "defining" opinion...because there really is no exact answer.

One more thing. Look in tying manuals. There is almost always an "attractor" category. Which has nothing to do with how it is applied on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Bucky's is that there is "no difference" between the two. It is my opinion as well. IMHO.
    It is a good thing to be aware, though, that there is a difference of opinion, and to take that into account when trying to interpret what some else has said -- and how what we say might get interpreted. It seems we all agree on what "attractor" means, but "searching" not so much.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    It seems we all agree on what "attractor" means, but "searching" not so much.
    Uh, not sure that's true. How about explaining what an 'Attractor' means. Does it mean that the fly catches the fishes eye and: a)looks like something edible but not exactly? b)angers the fish and results in a strike? c)has a recognizable shape and the fish strikes? d)the fish come to it and you have a 'refusal' (assuming you can see this happen)? Or, e)something else?
    Where does one begin and the other leave off? Personally, I have a slight idea but at the same time I'd rather stick to the terms 'realistic', 'imitation', and 'impression'. Even then, except for the realistic which is fairly evident, it's sometimes difficult to distinguish between the other two terms.

Blog Entries

Well, when I fish an "attractor", I am hoping to induce a take when there might not be a hatch in progress. I am looking (searching) for a trout that is also "searching" for food and the fly attracts its attention and has enough general similarity to the natural food form to trigger a take.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 09-26-2013 at 12:52 AM.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

A searching pattern is one that you use when you have no idea what to use....... A Woolly Booger is a good choice.

+ Reply to Thread