+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Full sinking lines

Default Full sinking lines

My RIO type IV broke over the long weekend after many years of service. Although I liked the performance of the line it's coiling drove me crazy.

Does anyone have recommendations on other Type IV or V lines for a 5 weight? Ideally one that can handle cooler weather and coiling.

Thanks,

Pete

All i have to say is Scientific Anglers.

Ditto

------------------
    The best time to go fishing is when it's raining and when it's not
    The Best time to fishing is when it's raining and when it's not

when I bought my cabelas combo 5wt it came with I believe prestige line wf. I got it in april and started to fish it the and it was cold. I had alot of coiling. I then bought scientific angler GPX wf less coiling (thought not gone altogether) and it seems to cast a bit better or maybe I am just learning how

Pete, if you were happy with the rio performance then I would sugest you stick with it and buy another rio line, they are very good lines and all you have to do to stop the coiling is give the whole line a good stretch prior to fishing to get rid of the lines "memory" from being coiled on the reel. You will be amazed how much you can stretch the line, I would estimate the average line will stretch at least 10 percent. And most lines will stay straight all day after a good stretch.
    All the best.
    Mike.

No offense but that seems like alot of work to fish a line. Just bought a SA mastery series, sink tip wf - 8 .5. to 6.5 ips. No coiling at all. I find Scientific anglers has very little line coiling even after being on a spool for a few months, or in the cold weather.

after been wound up on the reel, the line keep in "memory" the tight loop and after a cast you get a line full of kinks on the water.
    To get rid of it two ways:
    1) - Before or while fishing you stretch the line, stretching removes temporarily the loops in the line.or,
    2) -Like putting nylon in boiling water give suppleness, put your line in warm water, put it to a boil ,let it cool down and remove the line: it is straight, no loop or kink.
    I tested several flylines and this process worked on all of them ( Airflo was'nt tested). More, after 5 months of winter storage on the reel, the flyline still show complete lack of "memory" and lay perfect on the water. If you want , test it first on a few meter of your line. Being for a short time in boiling water won't damage the line.
    Hope this procedure will help you.
    Pierre

All we need now is a 90-foot pot and a way to evenly heat the whole thing.

Core material determines coiling. Lines designed for 'warm' water will have a stiff core to keep them from becoming 'wimpy noodles'. The same line used in cold water will coil no matter what you do to it; pulling, stretching boiling. It is not probable that this the case however. Not likely that any buy a 'Tropic' fly line to fish for steelhead in freezing temps. Differing companies use various 'core and coating' combinations to achieve a good balance between coiling and not being a noodle. This does not make any of them bad. Just different, and maybe not the best suited for a particular situation.

I once tried to write a report on a very popular line during the month of December. Air temp was 46 degrees. I could not/did not do the report as I could not get the line to go through the guides due to coiling.

I am among the Scientific Anglers full sinking or sinktip for that matter proponents. How can you improve on a great product? WF or DT 444 peach.

------------------
    I learn more about the world while talking to myself when fishing alone

+ Reply to Thread