+ Reply to Thread

Thread: One of those days.......

Default One of those days.......

Well, I decided to hit a couple new (to me) streams today, sice I figured all my regular haunts would be packed with trout season opening up yesterday. The first one I tried was fishless-no rises, and no ripples/other signs of fish, and no real hatch to speak of ,although I did see a huge (probably sz 6- golden stonefly on a rock as I was leaving. The next seemed to be about the same, but then I head a plash and looked over to see a little (probably 8-10in.) trout leap out to grab something on the surface. So, I look around for any sort of bugs/hatch, and there's none that I can see (a few stray golden stone, and a couple really small tricos(?), but no real "hatch"). I tie on something that SHOULD look appetizing to a trout in a little overlooked stream (griffiths gnat, sz1, and cast it just PERFECT. Nothing. So, I keep casting for a good hour or so, and still nothing, and I wasn't seeing the fish rising anymore, so I figured I'd move on to another spot. Just as I'm wading off, I hear the splash again! So, I look around to see if there's some sort of hatch going on that I might have missed, and there still doesn't seem to be anything hatching in any great numbers. Well, I figured maybe that trout was going after the odd golden stone I saw drifting past, so I tied on a little pattern of mine (sz12). Again, fished that spot for a good hour and still nothing. *sigh* Basically, I spent the better part of the day going after this one little fish, and didn't even get a strike. At least I got some good casting practice......

Joe Martin
    Salem, OR

Joe,

Casting pratice is always good When I'm in such a situation, I'll change flies several times and if that doesn't work, I'll move on to other fish, preferably in faster water.

For what it's worth,

Scott

Did you hit the south Santiam? Milk creek? Head for the coast next time....try the Kilchis...always good for cutts in the pools.
    Another sleeper is Gold Creek that flows into the Trask not far upstream from tidewater. Getter done........
    ------------------
    I learn more about the world while talking to myself when fishing alone

[This message has been edited by Jonezee (edited 28 May 2006).]

tea stick
    Welcome to FAOL! Great to have another 'boo nut on board with us!

Jonzee
    I didn't bother with the Santiam, since I figured it'd be a bit high with this last weeks rain. And, do you mean MILL Creek? Haven't tried that yet. As far as heading to the coast, well, that's exactly what I did today! Hit the Little Nestucca and caught a couple little cutts on a nice caddis hatch that came off right around the time I got there (there were also a few stray golden stones, but not really a solid hatch of them). I usually hit the Nestucca/Three Rivers area, but I'm going to have to try the Trask+Kilchis next time I go over (probably next weekend, depending on the weather).

Joe Martin
    Salem, OR

+ Reply to Thread