+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pop Up Campers

OF just stating what I have been told by owners. The first one I encountered was with a couple in RMNP they were cooking out in 40* weather because they had no facilities inside.

Personally I have a Lance TC with has everything, except for a/c and I can park it wherever the four wheels fit.

I just got back from four weeks in the Catskill's and did not park in one CG.

Just a word of warning about bears. I work as a camp host for the Forest Service in Wyoming just outside of Cooke City, MT. I have twice had Grizzly try to get into hard sided trailers. We tell the folks having those type of pop up's they are NOT BEAR PROOF for food storage purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kytroutbum View Post
    Just a word of warning about bears. I work as a camp host for the Forest Service in Wyoming just outside of Cooke City, MT. I have twice had Grizzly try to get into hard sided trailers. We tell the folks having those type of pop up's they are NOT BEAR PROOF for food storage purposes.
    Considering the pics I've seen of where bears tore doors and trunk lids off cars, I should think prying and tearing open a hardside camper would be not much of a problem for a bear who really wanted inside. RV's are made of light stuff - most walls are of light wood framing with maybe a thin plywood and light aluminum siding to cover that.

aww, the joys of camping/rv'ing, etc. Wife wants one, but I think it would just be more work for me in the long run.

I chose the word resistant, instead of proof, carefully. I have a friend whose large trailer (not pop up) was demolished by a bear. Closest I've come was at Great Sand Dunes. They had bear warning signs out so, after microwaving my dinner, I left the "aromatic" microwave out on the picnic table and put my garbage bag out in the fire pit. In the morning, the microwave was on the ground and the garbage bag was gone.

Thanks to tips received here and elsewhere, I can camp without an electric hook up for about a week by starting out with two fully charged batteries. I prefer RV parks when available, though, for the hook ups, bathrooms and showers, WiFi, etc. I've been pleased to observe the lack of snobbery among the people there. Folks in the huge Class A's seem perfectly friendly to those in much smaller rigs like mine. I haven't made any lasting friendships with the folks I've met in RV parks, but have had some interesting conversations with nice people. And, I have yet to experience any serious breaks in campground etiquette at RV parks, with everyone trying to be good neighbors to the other campers.

Default campers

I'll stick to the van when I am out on my own, with the girl friend its a 34 ft. motor home.
    DSCN0729.jpg
    sandfly/bob
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215
    I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing ghillie..

DaleW, do you have any pictures of the interior of your camper?

Quote Originally Posted by MAC in NEOhio View Post
    DaleW, do you have any pictures of the interior of your camper?

No pics (my camera is about at the end of it's life cycle ... the next INVESTMENT!) ~

But here's what the different floor plans look like .... mine is the "U" floor plan. The camper has the AC/heating unit, the 3-way frig, two burner cook stove and a ceiling vent fan.

http://tab-rv.com/floorplans/

Dale, Thanks for the link. I mostly tent camp with the scout troop now, but in a few years that just might be the ticket to get my wife to join me again. Very nice little camper. Sugercreek is just a couple hours south of me. I will have to try and check out the factory on one of my trips south.

Blog Entries

Like most things, I think our tastes and "wants" change with experience.

My family and I started out with tents. Moved to a Pop-Up camper. I always dreamed of a Scamp. A small fixed camper with bathroom, kitchen, etc. I think they are the perfect size.
    My wife then told me I could stay in a motel room a lot cheaper...........
    So, this a pic of someone else's Scamp...

Last edited by Byron haugh; 07-21-2013 at 01:01 AM.

+ Reply to Thread