+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Red tails on hoppers?

Question Red tails on hoppers?

My little boy was looking in my fly tying book and asked me why did the grasshopper have a red tail? I told him I assumed that it would help cause the fish to make a strike at it. but I really don't know, and was just wondering if anyone had any idea why that is?

thanks in advance,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Tradition!

Some hoppers seem to have a tinge of red in that area (at least according to Dave Whitlock on a tape I used to have).

A lot of hoppers around here have red (or red-tinged) hind legs, and contrary to a lot of patterns, the rear legs on hoppers can often run pretty close together.

Many hoppers also have a pale peach or pink underside to their abdomen, which explains why pink hoppers are killer around here.

Maybe they have red in Mountain Home Arkansas.

Personally, I've never really seen a bright yellow grasshopper, but what the heck I fish them anyways.

I'm very partial to the GFA Hopper tied with foam strips of yellow, tan and green (and in black for crickets). Maybe I should add a tinge of red in the back with marker.
    Last edited by Steven; 06-06-2013 at 01:09 PM.

Blog Entries

Red is just a good color to use sometimes, fish really respond to a bit of red. I have seen a red grasshopper on the Yakima River in eastern WA one time, a very red, full body color. Larry ---sagefisher---

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Maybe they have red in Mountain Home Arkansas.

Personally, I've never really seen a bright yellow grasshopper, but what the heck I fish them anyways.

I'm very partial to the GFA Hopper tied with foam strips of yellow, tan and green (and in black for crickets). Maybe I should add a tinge of red in the back with marker.
    The only hoppers I tie are exactly what you tie, GFA Hoppers in yellow, tan, and green. Yes, I have some in black for crickets as well. The hoppers are here range in color from green, yellow/green, yellow, yellow/tan, and tan. I'm not sure if it's just different species of hoppers, or the time of year. I see more green and green/yellow hoppers early (like, now), and going through yellow to tan as the season progresses. Although, that isn't set in stone. I did see a tan one yesterday.

I think I've seen a few hoppers with a peach-colored bellies. Maybe I need to tie some in that color, or pink.

At the same time, I'm wondering if matching the hatch on hoppers really matters for me. The sunfish will usually slam a hopper within seconds of the bug hitting the water. It gets addicting!

+ Reply to Thread