+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Music

Default Music

This may sound like a dumb question, but being only 19 and the target of the I pod craze, I like to listen to my I pod while I fish. Is there anyone else out there who does this, or do you think it ruins the purpose of fishing?

If you enjoy the music then go for it. I myself enjoy the music of the river. I like to hear where the fish jump or if something is approaching or whatever is happening around me. I think that the more I'm in tune to my surroundings the better fisher I become.

Wow that is just scary!

------------------
    Born to fish forced to work.
    Alan

Reminds me of last fall when I darn near hooked a moose on my backcast. And I *wasn't* listening to music! Let's be careful out there.... DAN

I would never listen to music or anything else while fishing, listening to the water is part of fishing. I woulndn't want to lose one of my senses.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

I guess I am with those who do not. There are too many other sounds to listen to while I fish. I can listen to music just about anywhere else.
    Good question.

Having three grown children, I can understand how you may have a different perspective and preferences than some of the other (read that as older) members of this board. Since that I fall into that "other" category, I must admit that I would not enjoy listening to music while I fish. One of the things I've found about fly fishing in particular is that it has made me become MUCH more attentive while fishing. Many times, I will hear the splash of a fish that I would have never seen. This has resulted in me catching more fish and learning to enjoy the entire fishing experience even more. For me, fly fishing is about the entire experience of casting, fishing and watching, listening and learning more with each trip. That's just me and if you enjoy listening to music while you fish, go for it. The intent is for you to enjoy yourself and get away from the "stuff" of life. Listen, enjoy and don't let others disuade you from what you enjoy.

Jim Smith

The music we listened to this past two weeks includes wind in the trees, jumping fish, songbirds, the whirl of the line being taken out, among other delights of Nature. Don't miss out on all that because of earphones plugged in to your head. BUT ... if you're going to listen to music, thank you for using headsets so as not to "inflict" those around you.

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Wait, Betty "jumping fish"? Weren't you in SD? Whats up?

Flyfishing, to me, is "back to basics" & reliance on my basic senses to savor my surroundings & enjoy the sounds of nature.
    Mike

------------------
    You can call me Mike & you can call me Mikey..Just remember that this site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

+ Reply to Thread