+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Seattle Area - Olympic Penninsula

Default Seattle Area - Olympic Penninsula

My wife and I will be in the Seattle area for a vacation in mid-September. We plan to sight-see Mt. Rainier and Olympic National Park. Any recommendations for fishing the Olympic Penninsula would be appreciated. Since my fishing time will be limited, guide recommendations would be good.
    Thanks,
    George

plaidad,

There should be some good summer steelhead in the OP rivers then, as well as Sea Run Cutthroat. Which rivers will depend on the amount of rain we get, or lack of it.

As far as guides go, I can suggest two. There are probably many other fine guides out there, but I have experience with these guys.

The Northwest Flyfisherman
    Steve Buckner
    (503) 939-5819
    steve@northwestflyfisherman.com
    [url=http://www.NorthwestFlyFisherman.com:9eb0c]www.NorthwestFlyFisherman.com[/url:9eb0c]

Little Stone Fly Fisher
    Bob Triggs
    (866) 793-3595
    LittleStoneFlyFisher@mail.com

[This message has been edited by Ron Eagle Elk (edited 24 May 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Ron Eagle Elk (edited 24 May 2006).]
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Thanks Ron -
    The sea-run cutts sound pretty interesting. I'm not really geared up for steelhead - there aren't a lot of trout over 5 pounds around here, so my stoutest rod is a 5wt.
    George

I had a fantastic experience with Mike Dickson: [url=http://www.flyfishsteelhead.com:1abd3]www.flyfishsteelhead.com[/url:1abd3]

They'll know where to go at the time you're there, these guys have been doing the OP and Puget Sound for over 20 years.

Very reasonable rates and top-notch guiding.

Marty
    MFTG

Hmmm...mid-September, the OP...can't get much better than that.

First of all, it really depends upon what you want to catch. This is the height of the coho salmon run. Searun cutts will be forming ranks behind the salmon, and summer steelhead will be hitting.

The best fly fishing guide I've been with on the OP is Jim Kerr. He's been at it just a few years, so he's really anxious to please, and he is very, very good. He will put you on fish of whatever kind you want whether it's on the salt or in the rivers. I really can't speak too highly of him. He can do a trip with both salmon and searun cutts in the saltwater in that timeframe, and that trip in all likelihood will have your eyes popping...it did mine, the first time I made it (and subsequent trips as well).

The best part is that he's based in Port Townsend, as is Triggs, so your significant other, assuming she doesn't fish, can spend a day in one of the only three Victorian seaports in the U.S.

Also, there is some great beach fishing in the local area for both salmon and searuns at that time. Can't tell exactly what I'll be doing at the time, but it's just after my son's wedding, so I should have a bunch of brownie points stored up. If nothing else, I can advise you on where and what to do on your own in the immediate area and possibly go out for an afternoon or so.

Check out Jim Kerr first, though. He's a lot more dependable!
    [url=http://www.jimkerrguides.com:d3aa3]www.jimkerrguides.com[/url:d3aa3] or 360-301-4559.

Keith

Man Plaidad,

I wish I was going up there. I took a trip to Vancouver, Seattle, Olympic, Rainer and LOVED it! I'd move there if I could pack the kids! Anyways, Port Townsend is the place to go. As a matter of fact there is plenty of good fishing righ in that area. A lake very near that's loaded with Steelhead. If i were you though I'd take a ferry from Port Townsend to Victoria on Vancouver Island. Go North West from their and you have Excellent and I mean Awesome places to fish. Your wife will love Victoria also. It's a great place and everybody talks with a British Accent their.

Oh, You might look for the last three or so issues of fly rod and reel or one of the other flyfishing mags. They have a huge section on fishing Vancouver Island!!! Victoria is a MUST SEE PLACE though if you are going to be in that area... You are going to my favorite place in the world. Man, I liked it better than Hawaii and Mexico so I'm pumped just talking about the place!

brhokla, it's a great place to live, but as a realtor, you'd be in for some 'sticker shock'
    real estate is out of this world (or so the prices would indicate.)

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

+ Reply to Thread