+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on helping others on the water?

I don't go out of my way to help people, I like my solitude when I'm on the water and find that most people are the same. If someone comes up to me when I'm fishing and wants to talk or if they are sitting on the bank taking a break I take the time to talk, if they ask for help I try to help as best I can, I have given away my fair share of flies as well.

How I met Rosie Cotton and learned to love the Patriot…
    by Bob Houf
    April 11, 2013
    Those of you who are ardent fans of J.R.R. Tolkien’s “Lord of the Rings” trilogy will know who Rosie is. Those who don’t are invited to investigate – Google will provide plenty of details. Rosie plays a small role at the beginning in the shire as a pub waitress who catches Sam’s eye, and then again at the end of the story when Sam returns to successfully woo her.

Rosie, although a bit player in the movie, is strikingly beautiful – her name is apt –cheerful disposition, rosy cheeks, blonde hair with curls upon curls, a smile that lights up the screen, and, well, you get the point.

So what has this to do with fly fishing, you ask? Well, it happened like this…

I was at Grayrock in northern Michigan last year for the first time. I had just completed my first bamboo fly rod and was excited to meet all of the elders of the craft I had read and heard so much about. I rented a small cabin on the bank of the Manistee River not far from the gathering. I spent as much time as I could listening to the wise graybeards explain the history and craft of rod making but I was also torn by the desire to try my own rod out on the Manistee.

Each evening I would leave the rod makers and return to my cabin to have a quick dinner then put on my waders, take up my rod and fish the river. I picked up a few trout here and there and learned about the unique nature of these northern sandy-bottomed spring-fed rivers in Michigan. I studied the bottom carefully so I could fish as the evening turned to dusk then dark and still safely navigate back to the river’s edge.

This pattern continued each evening – eat quickly, don gear and fish until dark – but I only caught a few fish. Few and far between. I saw the usual mix of other fisherman wading the river, the canoes and the tubes and other observers, including a bear.

As the evenings passed, I saw how other fisherman who weren’t staying on the river would enter the river at the bridge upstream of me and work there way down stream, through my area. Some were courteous, others not so much.

On the last evening of my stay I noticed a fisherman, not a tall one, working down the far bank of the river, closer and closer to my location. Usually they would try to steer around me but this one came closer and closer and my ire began to rise. All manner of thoughts about fishing etiquette were rambling around in my head when the person started to come directly over to me.

Then I saw her clearly.

The first thought I had was, “This can’t be possible!”

Standing in front of me, smiling a radiant, brilliant smile, with rosy cheeks, blonde curls falling out from under her hat, was a dead ringer for Rosie Cotton in waders, vest and fly fishing gear!

I could only stutter when she asked me how I was doing. All thoughts of poor fishing etiquette flew out the window as I introduced myself and what I was doing.

She explained she was fishing the river with her husband who was in the cabin down from mine and had been working up one side of the river to the bridge and now was getting ready to leave the river. The only way out was right in front of me so she came over to say hello and see how it was going.

As I mentioned to her the struggles I was having catching fish she introduced me to a pattern I had never seen before – the Patriot.

Red, white and blue, it is an attractor pattern by Charlie Meck. Then she handed me a couple with a big smile and a wave goodbye. And I started catching fish.

Now it’s almost a year later and I am booking my trip to Grayrock. There are two things I will be sure to take along this year, in addition to all my other gear.

One is an ample supply of Patriots.

The other is the DVD of The Lord of the Rings – who knows, I may see Rosie Cotton on the river again…

Bob is a retired engineer who has discovered fly fishing, fly tying and bamboo rod making. He hopes to be able to put it all together to catch a few fish.

And in full disclosure, Bob is happily married to the same Kathy he met in 1971 and married in 1973 – a most beautiful woman and my one, true soul mate.

Great post, Bob!

20 minutes from the Great Smoky Mountains N.P. and lots of cool water fishing.

Well, I don't think I am qualified to give anyone help when on the river/lake/creek/pond. But if any of you happen to come across a water thrasher that looks like he really wants to do this fly fishing thing right, that'd be me and I would appreciate your stopping and giving some pointers.
    Gordon
    Live every day as if it were your last.

Nice story, K7!
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

I learned all my good fishing habits and bad fishing habits from people that were willing to take the time and show me how they did it. I try to past on only the good habits but sometimes the bad habits sneak in.
    If at first you don't succeed ... Then sky diving may not be the sport for you

My first experience with a fly fisherman on a stream was getting yelled at for bringing my son with me to the trout stream. It our my first at trout fishing. Granted, my son (9yrs) may have disturbed a pool but we did not know better at that point in time. We were spin fishing back then and I wanted nothing to do with grumpy abusive fly fishermen. Ten years later I decided to try fly fishing anyway. Since then I have meet some wonderful fly fisherman on some streams that were encouraging and gave great advice. I now have been fly fishing for 15 years and all my sons now fly fish with me. I vowed that I will never be that abusive fisherman and will always help anyone else on the stream. If they are fishing with their kids, I will be even extra helpful. I read a thread awhile back that fly fishing is dying and only grumpy old men fly fish. Twenty years ago I would have agreed with the thread. We are the ambassadors of our sport. I hope we are all willing to help out another fisherman. If your fishing is always more important than people, I hope you find a stream all to yourself. Not so that you do not have to talk to anyone, but so that no one ever as to talk to you.
    caribe

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    I very rarely run into people, but a few years ago I ran into a young guy just starting out. He had got out of the water downstream of the bridge I was on. Being polite, I asked him how he did.

Turned out, he was a complete noobie, had bought some gear because he was going to be in SWW for the summer and tried to learn from a Dave Whitlock book. Anyway, it was a disaster and he was dejected as hell.

I asked him if he wanted to fish upstream with me. We took turns, I corrected some of his misinterpretations, and he got his first couple of trout.

I'd like to think I did some good.
    Steven, one big ATTABOY for you! You made a very kind gesture there and something that that young kid will likely remember for a long time. Nice going man!

Oldfrat, you echo my feelings perfectly. I've also given away a few flies on a few occasions and it's always been appreciated. It's nice to be friendly and "do unto others" w/o coming off as a know-it-all and gassing out unwanted "help".

Given that, spots are sacred. I learned that lesson many yrs. ago in my walleye fishing. With trusted and good friends it's one thing but just talking around is not to my comfort, especially like some special spots that are hard-earned. No sense in it.

Given all this, I'll help anybody any time I can and also help keep our streams clean by carrying out a lot of other folks crap. Pity but what're ya gonna do??

Steven, good to see you again. It's been along while. I hope all's well in Chi-town for you and your family. I have a son who just moved there (Willowbrook area) with his girlfriend as she goes to the Optometry School there. I can't stand driving around that town...*wink/grin*

Jeremy.

Hmm, i had to think hard before replying to this thread! I just do not understand how anyone can fish a river, bump into someone else on the river and not share with them! If you are worried about your secret spot, forget it, they are already there. I always make a point of point of talking to guys I meet on the water and I have to say after 20 years of fishing in NZ I still learn something from just about every person I meet on the water and I hope they learn something from me.
    I certainly hope to meet you on the water one day and if so I like to think we can have a yarn and maybe share a fishing spot and a beer afterward.
    All the best.
    Mike

So we have secret spots.....not sharing info with others........sharng info with others on a limited bassis.......all ot sharing of info. Hum, how fortunate are we just to be able to get on the water or perhaps some of us have taken that for granted. All of these other things seem petty to me now that I can no longer wade the streams. It has brought me to realize some things, to look at things in a different light. Time shared on the water with any other soul is a priceless gift from above that we should be thankful for. Also, in this modern era of G.P.S. and such gadgets there are no secret spots. However, it is fun to pretend that we have a well hidden secret honey hole of our very own.

+ Reply to Thread