+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Price of Vises

Blog Entries

Default The Price of Vises

In a current thread and in most/all threads about purchasing a vise, the concept of the cost of the vise comes to the fore. Many vises, it appears, are rejected outright as being "crazy high cost". Now, I certainly do realize that some vises are indeed pricey. However, I wonder if the price of a good quality vise is often overstated.

This is a fly tying forum on the flyanglers' website. Therefore, I presume that most here are very interested in tying. Perhaps spending a lot of their free time on tying.

I am sure, as well, that most of us here do quite a bit of fishing. But, given time constraints, weather, and distance to fishing opportunities, I submit that most of us probably spend more time at the vise than actually fishing over a year's period.

So, I am thinking.........How much are the waders we wear? $150 - $400?.... Wading boots? $150 - $250?..... And, I don't know about you, but mine (waders at least) need to be replaced every few years - often due to tears resulting from my carelessness.

How much is a motel room on a week long fishing trip? $300 to $450? Fly lines?? Etc., etc., etc.

So, how much is "too much" for a vise that lasts a lifetime and is usable year-round?

Just my rationalization, perhaps, but it allows me to enjoy a quality vise..................

To each his/her own.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    I am sure, as well, that most of us here do quite a bit of fishing. But, given time constraints, weather, and distance to fishing opportunities, I submit that most of us probably spend more time at the vise than actually fishing over a year's period.
    If you're right about this, then I am in the minority as I definitely spend more time on the stream than at the vise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    So, how much is "too much" for a vise that lasts a lifetime and is usable year-round?
    I tie flies to fish and if I didn't fish, I don't think I would tie flies. So a vise, for me, is a tool to make flies to fish with. I spent around $125 for a Peak vise several years ago and it does everything that I want from a vise. I could have spent more, but I didn't see the extra value in terms of tying functionality to justify spending more. That is, I don't think spending more on a vise would help me produce better quality flies or produce them more efficiently.

I know folks who consider fly tying as the end objective (rather than fishing) and spend more time at the vise than on the stream. Some of these folks get involved with presentation quality salmon flies or realistic flies. I can respect that, but it's not for me.

Blog Entries

John,
    You're luckier than most!!!!!!!

Byron, How much you or anyone else pays for a vise, waders, boots, or anything else is none of my business. I have been working for pay since I was 8 years old, that will soon cover 60 years. I learned an appreciation for the cost of things and the meaning of value at a pretty young age. I do not believe having a Law, a J VIce, a Xuron would make be a better fly tyer that the vise I am using. I would like to have an Atlas Apex or a Peak but I am doing okay with what I am using.

If I had spent some time with an accomplished tyers sometimes in the past, that probably would have helped me now. I seriously doubt I would have ever been able to turn out the quality flies Scott, Hans or you produce. I lived in Tupelo for over 18 years and never learned to sing like Elvis either. There is something called talent that if you have it, you can cultivate it, but you cannot buy it.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

Very reasonable and well considered response
    I thank you for that.

What I say or think has no matter to others unless they also seek the holy grail and want a good rationalization
    As evidenced by my kind thoughts about the 128 dollar Xurons, it's not just about the really expensive ones either
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 03-22-2013 at 02:17 AM.

20 minutes from the Great Smoky Mountains N.P. and lots of cool water fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    Byron, How much you or anyone else pays for a vise, waders, boots, or anything else is none of my business. I have been working for pay since I was 8 years old, that will soon cover 60 years. I learned an appreciation for the cost of things and the meaning of value at a pretty young age. I do not believe having a Law, a J VIce, a Xuron would make be a better fly tyer that the vise I am using. I would like to have an Atlas Apex or a Peak but I am doing okay with what I am using.
    Well said Unc. Like you, I have been pulling in a wage since I was 10, and getting cash for bottle deposits since I was 7, .02 for pop and .10 for 1/2 gallon milk and .25 for 1 gallon milk. Not quite as long as you, but close. I choose the Danvise because 1) I needed to upgrade to tie smaller than #16, and 2) It was a bargain at $60. It will probably be the last vise I ever buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    If I had spent some time with an accomplished tyers sometimes in the past, that probably would have helped me now. I seriously doubt I would have ever been able to turn out the quality flies Scott, Hans or you produce. I lived in Tupelo for over 18 years and never learned to sing like Elvis either. There is something called talent that if you have it, you can cultivate it, but you cannot buy it.
    I tie for myself and am teaching myself. So my flies aren't always pretty and will never look like the real thing. But, they catch fish, and that is what counts for me.
    Gordon
    Live every day as if it were your last.

How we justify what we think about this type of issue fasinates me.

I like my vise. Most folks 'like' the vise they have. Those that do like their vise, whatever it's features and cost, find some reason to offer justification for why they own/like that particular vise. We've seen quite a bit of that in this thread already.

Those that do not 'like' their own vise are probably looking for an upgrade. What they choose to purchase will reflect their perception of their needs, how much they can afford to spend, the effectiveness of advertising, and their reliance, or lack of reliance, on the things they read on sites like this.

Some folks will always be looking for the 'next best thing' in vises, regardless of what they have now.

Fascinating how the human animal deals with something this trivial in the grand scheme of life.

YMMV

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Blog Entries

I spend a heck of a lot more time fishing than I do tying flies, probably five to ten hours of fishing for every hour of tying, if not more, and those hours of tying are multitasked with other stuff, such as listening to the radio or watching TV on the net, or chatting with friends. I am still tying on a Thompson (only ten or so years on this one, but am into 5 digits on flies), because it works just fine, and I don't NEED to spend $400 or more to have a perfectly functional vise. All it has to do is hold a hook while I put stuff on it. I can spend that extra money on actual fishing, or fly lines, or hotel rooms, or waders, or... All of which are on the inexpensive end as well, because I see no need to spend money if I don't have to. I catch just as many fish.

Blog Entries

Great DG!!!
    You have some great fishing nearby

+ Reply to Thread