+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: the "myth" of the wealthy fly fishermen

It's interesting to see the company in which I am included in Pennsylvania. The way our economy has been locally the last 3 years $25,000 would be a raise. I have now come to fully understand the phrase "taking work just to keep your men busy". They've made more than me the last 3.

It may be that way in PA but I don't believe that would hold true in Missouri. That and one can pick and choose among demographics to make something say what you want it to say. And as others have stated, when averaged, numbers can be skewed both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Dave View Post
    I thought fly fishing was the cure for wealth.
    No, that's sailing.

I would gladly skew these figures on the high end but the chances are nil. Fly fishing pays me in ways the dollar never can. Now that is precious.

I also am not in Murty's "average fly fisherman" group, and I am looking at a 15-20% pay cut this year as well.

Pennsylvania is a time-honored, historic fly fishing location. If the stereotypes cited are indeed false, why would their marketing model so prominently assert them?

Every myth has some truth in its origin.

Okay, there are those among us who don't fit the 'average' that that author has identified. I certainly don't. However, if you were to take the 'average' of other individual catagories of fishermen(women included), I'm guessing that the author is right. If it weren't such a waste of time, energy, money and nonsense it might be interesting to see how the author differentiates the "freshwater anglers" and the "fly anglers". Seems there's a crossover and overlap. Hey, but then again, the Recreational Fishing and Boating Foundation and the Outdoor Foundation were probably given a hefty $$$$$s grant to do some really dumba** study from which they came up with that finding.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Hey, but then again, the Recreational Fishing and Boating Foundation and the Outdoor Foundation were probably given a hefty $$$$$s grant to do some really dumba** study from which they came up with that finding.
    "There are Lies, damned lies, and statistics" - Benjamin Disraeli, populized by Mark Twain
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Using a single statistic of "average income" is a keyhole look at best. If they had a graph showing income in increments of $10,000 on one axis and the number of fly fishermen in each income level on the other, they would have a very different and more useful picture of the truth. Throw in another graph showing income increments vs. age of angler and the picture would be even clearer. Statistics are only as good as the variables they consider, and it's impossible to include all the variables.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

WOW !! I think I need to try fishing in PA. Just maybe I can rub elbows with some of that cash they got down there. lol lol

Quote Originally Posted by jszymczyk View Post
    Research done by the Recreational Fishing and Boating Foundation and the Outdoor Foundation revealed freshwater anglers most commonly earn between $25,000 and $49,000 per year. When you look at fly anglers in particular though, they earn $100,000 on average.
    What I find interesting is that the people in the $25K-$49K group regularly spend tens of thousands on a boat, motor, and trailer but would laugh in your face at the mention of a $700 fly rod.

Blog Entries

Well, if they took their samples at TU meetings, that might explain their problem. The last one I went to was full of folks like that, and the rest of us unwashed were not welcomed. Never returned, never paid dues again.

+ Reply to Thread