+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rotary vises

All good points I learned and used a Thompson A for twenty years then bought a Renzetti. I use the rotary for checking the far side of the fly. On occasion I will use the rotary for wrapping floss, That's about it. I also have two Regal's that I bought at very good prices and I use one of them when on the road.
    As stated when teaching a class I encourage the students to not use the rotary so the will get the basic's.

We have a fellow in our TU Chapter that is a rotary man. He wraps everything with it and when I watch him it seems that he adds more steps then is necessary.

I use the rotary feature primarily because I tend to bump my HOT lamp when winding around the hook and to maintain consistent tension

I nuse the rotary functionon almost all the flies I tie.
    The more I do the easier it gets.
    Much easier to "palmer" anything with the rotary function.

Rick

I use rotary on my Danvise for dubbing, ribbing, hackling and palmering on any fly those functions are called for !
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

I also use the rotary feature almost constantly while tying.
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I learned, and tied on, non-rotary vises for many years. When I first tied on a rotary vise it was like a revelation. I use rotary all the time, bodies, hackles, ribbings, any material that gets wrapped around the hook pretty much automatically gets applied by spinning the vise, not wrapping with my hands (with a few exceptions I'm sure.) It's not a matter of speed for me, because speed is not generally a factor of why I tie flies. I am much more consistent applying materials using rotary versus hand-to-hand-to-hand-to-hand.

Blog Entries

Interestingly, not all rotary vises are "true rotary" in the majority of hook sizes.
    Most rotary vises have some sort of adjustment which allows the jaws to maintain true rotary even if you change the size of hook you are using.
    The beautiful, and heavily sought after LAW Vise does not have such an adjustment, for example. Thus, tying rotary with the LAW is not smoothly done unless you are using a hook which corresponds to the preset position of the jaws in true rotary - something like a size 10 or so hook.

I don't tie rotary all the time. However, even for just fly inspection, I like the fly to remain on a fixed plane.......

The small axial variance, even on large bassbug or saltwater hooks, is of no consequence to me on my Peak. With the exception of the Nor, fly tying as I know it does not involve high RPMs.

Even IF the hook shank is perfectly centered with the axis of rotation, the hook shank flexes due to the tension of the material being applied. When that fact is taken into account, there really is no such thing as "TRUE" rotary tying.

Blog Entries

I had been tying for nearly 50 years when I got my Nor-Vise, but had many "rotary" vises prior. The true rotary nature of the Nor-Vise speeds up so many things I tie that were not done prior. I cannot imagine going back to a Renzetti, let alone a Thompson A...

Blog Entries

Hap,
    Correct me if I'm wrong. I had a Norvise many years ago. The Norvise is in-line rotary.....not true rotary?

+ Reply to Thread