+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vide - Red Fox Squirrel Nymph

Default vide - Red Fox Squirrel Nymph

Dave Whitlock's Red Fox Squirrel Nymph is one of the modern classics - and deserves a place in every trout angler's fly box:

Red Fox Squirrel Nymph
    Hook: Nymph hook 3XL #14
    Thread: Benecchi 12/0, tobacco
    Rib: Tinsel, gold fine oval
    Tail: Red Fox Squirrel guard hairs - sparse
    Abdomen: Red Fox Squirrel; SLF Finesse, pale olive; amber antron - mixed
    Thorax: Red Fox Squirrel - in split thread

Video here - please view in HD, if able:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaHOHV4hRA8

Cheers,
    Hans W
    Last edited by Hans Weilenmann; 02-22-2013 at 08:28 PM.
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

Blog Entries

Hans,
    Nice fly.
    Love his flies. I have some he tied personally and I could check, but sure recall ke has a partridge or other feather collar?

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    Hans,
    Nice fly.
    Love his flies. I have some he tied personally and I could check, but sure recall ke has a partridge or other feather collar?
    Byron,

That is correct - in the larger hook sizes.

Cheers,
    Hans W

Hans,

Once again, I thank you for sharing your flies and talent. Quick question - I have noticed on some of your flies you use the split thread when making the body and on others, this patten for instance, you used a pinch dubbed body and split thread for the thorax. Do you have a "rule of thumb" on when you want the body to be made one way over the other and if you do, why? Thanks in advance.....

Your PR Rep.......: )
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Blog Entries

I thought I had posted a pic of one of Whitlock's personally tied Red Fox Squirrel's and I found this older post:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...d-Fox-Squirrel

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    I thought I had posted a pic of one of Whitlock's personally tied Red Fox Squirrel's and I found this older post:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...d-Fox-Squirrel
    Indeed Byron, on the larger size hooks Dave would include brown partridge legs.

On the smaller hook sizes not so. Here is one Dave gave me when he visited the Dutch Fly Fair, many moons ago (you can tell how long ago by my crummy photo LOL)

Cheers,
    Hans W

Hans and others,

Just as an aside, and since Hans mentioned that he was given that fly many moons ago, about when did Dave Whitlock come up with that pattern? I ask for a few reasons: 1)Fox squirrel is not something new nor are nymphs. So it seems reasonable to think that the same pattern was devised by others as well. Of course, having a large regional or national reputation and having a platform as an excellent author greatly enhances the opportunity to be associated with a pattern. 2)Back in the early 80s I believe, Fly Tyer magazine had an article and photographs of a 'squirrel nymph' in an issue. It was tyed by someone other than D. Whitlock. Not sure if the fly is the same, very similar or they just share the same name. Doesn't really matter but thought this was interesting and goes back to a discussion on this Board about 'origins of flies and credit' for them.

Allan

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Just as an aside, and since Hans mentioned that he was given that fly many moons ago, about when did Dave Whitlock come up with that pattern?
    Allan,

I do not know when Dave started tying the RFSN - I do know when he gave me the sample - kinda. Was either 1988 Dutch Fly Fair, or 1990 Dutch Fly Fair.

Cheers,
    Hans W

We were tying 'em in '82 or '83 for trout fishing in Arkansas... and they were already well known then. Actually, there were a number of "squirrel" nymph patterns being used very effectively at that time by a variety of folks in Arkansas.

The well known Arkansas trout guide, John Gulley, gave me a "squirrel nymph" at the Southern Council Conclave in '84. The whole body was rough-dubbed, grey or fox squirrel, similar to the collar on Whitlock's Fox Squirrel, but without the reddish abdomen on Dave's. Both patterns accounted for a bunch of trout for my friend and me over the years....

Kyle M.
    Last edited by bowfin47; 02-26-2013 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenP View Post
    Hans,

Once again, I thank you for sharing your flies and talent. Quick question - I have noticed on some of your flies you use the split thread when making the body and on others, this patten for instance, you used a pinch dubbed body and split thread for the thorax. Do you have a "rule of thumb" on when you want the body to be made one way over the other and if you do, why? Thanks in advance.....

Your PR Rep.......: )
    Hi Warren,

Sorry for the slow response - I missed your post

I select the technique use based on the material and the look&feel I want in the final result. A traditional noodle has as advantage is that it is easier to control/achieve a desired taper. So yes, reasoning is behind it. With several techniques available to the tier, choices can be made.

In this case fairly smooth abdomen, and a spiky thorax.

Similar deal with, for example, with the Casual Dress video.

Does that make sense?

Cheers,
    Hans W
    Last edited by Hans Weilenmann; 02-26-2013 at 04:34 PM.

+ Reply to Thread