+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cassettes or What?

Default Cassettes or What?

I've got an Orvis Rocky Mountain 5/6 reel with an extra cassette. I keep a floating line on one and an intermediate on the other. I'm not loving this reel.

So... if I want to have 3 lines available at any one time for the same size rod: 5/6wt, what's the most economical way to get a decent disk drag setup?

STH MR POP? Stick with the Rocky Mountain? Three Hobbs Creeks?

A Battenkill disk drag with extra spools?

I'm wide open for suggestions. No clue here.
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

so far it sounds like it's going to take me about 15 miles up the road to Cortland. thanks for the response, JC.

Diane
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Slow down as you go through Dryden, Diane. I suspect they're still earning a fair amount of the village budget from the speeding tickets.

Dear Diane,

I have a Cortland Vista which is nothing more than a re-branded STH. I got it in the closeout bin at Hesselson's in Elmira Heights. I picked up a couple of spare cassettes, and bought some lines on E-bay. For less than the cost of a spare spool for most modern reels I have a reel rigged with 4 lines. I like the reel for what I use it for, mostly lake fishing with floating, sinking, and sink-tip lines.

When you drive through Dryden watch for deer too. My buddy commuted from Owego to Syracuse for about 5 years and got at least one deer every year with his truck.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

[This message has been edited by Tim Murphy (edited 13 March 2005).]

Diane, I have fished the sth pop system reels hard for a few years on Bass and Gills (3wt and 5-6wt). I have no complaints and would recomend the reels for trout, bass and bluegills. For the Salt I went with Lamson V3.

Enjoy the pop system reels if its your choice for the $$$$.

My .02

Philip
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

Hello Tim Murphy sounds like we have a fellow Southern Tier memeber if ya shop at Hesselsons.

+ Reply to Thread