+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guiding Questions

Default Guiding Questions

I will be graduating highschool next year, so I have been contemplating many careers. I'm seriously considering becoming a FFishing, and touring guide. My question, is there a possiblity this could be a year long career? or would I have to also rely on a second job? Also, what types of classes, liscenses should I pursue to achieve this? Thank you for any input.
    -David

------------------
    "Fly fishing is a skillful art, on where man can pit his wits against natured, and at the same time, be at one with the world around him"
    Martin Ford "Fishing Flies"

David,

Staying out of 'the pitfalls of guiding as a career' stuff:

Whether you can operate a guide business year round depends primarily on where you are.

If you can be mobile, try to select a spot that has good fishig all year, has enough 'stuff to see' (natural or manmade-not just a 'fishing' spot, but something for the rest of the family to do as well) in the area so that folks will be coming there all year, and is enough well known for it's fishing that fishermen will be looking for a guide when they are in the area.

Don't be surprised that will be LOTS of guides in any such area.....

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Ooops my bad! I wasn't trying to say I would own a company, I would like to work for somebody. I have been doing some research on areas and I believe Fernie, BC looks like a great place try to get started. Lots of summer activities, and many great fisheries. Thanks
    -David

------------------
    "Fly fishing is a skillful art, on where man can pit his wits against natured, and at the same time, be at one with the world around him"
    Martin Ford "Fishing Flies"

Learn a more lucrative trade first so that you have something to fall back on.

Some guide in two places, winter and summer, or they usually starve.

get a real job

Fernie would be a great place, but tough to guide in. New regulations limit the number of guide hours on the water and all guiding companies must have licences. With the great fishing, the resort facilities, and the excellent scenery, Fernie is one of Canada's top fishing destinations. Like mentioned before, everyone and their dog heads to these types of areas, either to spend money- or make it.

Try looking to a northern fly-in location if you are thinking Canada... They are trying to increase the flyfishing aspect of some of these locations. Its only summer work though and very remote.

Go to college.

Becoming a guide is like becoming a muscian. Neither will usually pay the bills. One of my son's is a very good musician, he is also a skilled wood floor installer. He is travelling around the world on cruise ships, playing his music and repairing the ships floors. A very good friend of mine is a guide in the U.P. of Michigan, he is also a guard at the state prision. Learn a skill you can do anywhere in the world as your main job and guide in between. Some skills to consider that you can use almost anywhere in the world and alow you to be flexible:
    Carpenter
    Locksmith
    Auto / marine Mechanic
    Cook/Chef
    Waitress
    Now get on that cruise ship and be a guide too.

David, I have been guiding a long time so let me offer you some advice.

Put together a resume and send it to a number of different lodges in Alaksa.

Lodges up there usually will hire inexperienced guides.

Prepare for a tough job that is not nearly as glamorous as it sounds.

Get your in fishing now, because once you become a guide you will not probally being doing alot of fishing on your own.

After the end of the season you will be ready to make a educated decision if guiding is really your true calling.

Unless you can get a job guiding in a tropical setting or in the southern hemisphere, (neither very likely until you get alot more years of experience)you can forget about making enough money to not be working in the winter doing something else.

If you really want to try it then give guiding a shot but get a college degree of some sort also.

Most of the guides I know tend to live from paycheck to paycheck.

Rob

[This message has been edited by idahofisher (edited 17 May 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread