+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Jointed Minnow

Default The Jointed Minnow

Hey folks!

Question.

The Jointed Minnow

A
    nyone see any possible qualms with tying this on a couple Gammie B10S size 2 or a White River size 6 Long-All-Purpose streamer hook?

Let me know what you think.

-Tony
    All men are equal before fish.

-Herbert Hoover

Spare Time for Fish

My experience has been that for larger size versions (size 4 and larger) you can use the same hook size for the front and rear hook shanks...but for size 6 and smaller, the pattern looks better (to me) to use a rear hook that is 2 sizes smaller than the front hook. So, like a #8 for the front, and a #12 for the rear shank. But that could be because I use the smaller size Palmer Chenille on those smaller Jointed Minnows.
    Experiment and see what works for you.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

AlanB Guest

With flies like these I have had issues with using mono for the connection, several came apart very quickly. Though I haven't tried Mason Hard Mono, that may solve the problem. The solution I used was to make the joint from two strands of wire twisted together.
    Cheers,
    A.

Alan, I've been using 20 lb Dacron for my connection on this pattern. No problems so far.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

As referenced here on FAOL and other places you might try 30lb (or more) nylon coated 7 strand wire for the connection between tandem hooks.

To articulate the Jointed Minnow you could add a looped wire extension to the front of the hook and tie onto that.

I use .020, .025 or .030 stainless steel welding wire with a loop on each end (depending on size of the hook).
    Thread wraps will secure the loops. To make the loops you can use a fishermans jig-making tool or jewelry pliers with rounded jaws.

I read about this connection in a Flylife online tying article where they tied a hatchling.

Wire Loop

loop.jpg

Hook with loop attached

loop n hook.jpg

Hatchling fly

Hatchling-Dale.JPG

iaflyfisher

AlanB Guest

That's whats known as a Waddington Shank. They have been popular here for many years for salmon flies.
    Cheers,
    C.

+ Reply to Thread