+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Difference in float tube valves?

Default Difference in float tube valves?

I'm in the process of Getting rid of my starter float tube and have no idea the difference between a Roberts and a Boston Valve.Any feed back on TU Togiak float tube?

------------------
    "Illegitimus nil Carborundum"

The roberts valve is a larger diameter, one way valve that can lock in the open position. It also supports locking your pump adapter to the valve. It inflates and deflates quickly and easily.

The boston valve is a two way, small diameter valve that means you have to hold the pump adapter to the valve to inflate. You also lose air during the time it takes to remove the pump and then close the valve.

I would go with the roberts valve over the boston every time.

Pete

[This message has been edited by PeteM (edited 17 May 2006).]

I have a Togiak, and the only thing I can think of that I would improve is the valves. I really like the tube, but the valves just aren't as secure as I would like. Don't get me wrong though. I will use it again, but I will keep a close eye on the valves to insure they are closed.
    Always, always, always, use your PFD.

------------------
    Life, is the time He gave you to determine where you want to spend eternity.
    ----------
    Lotech Joe
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

You also lose air during the time it takes to remove the pump and then close the valve.
    Funny, my Boston Valves don't loose air when removing the pump or closing the valve. Its sort of like a check valve that keeps air from escaping when its put in. It also has a valve cap. Being a two-way valve, I'm suppose to be able to remove some or all of the air using the pump but I just unscrew the valve to deflate. I've never been able to use the two-way pump to remove some air from the two-way valve but I don't need to anyway.

Here is a .pdf file of assembly instructions for my ODC 816 that shows the valve assembly.
    [url=http://www.creekcompany.com/pdf/816.pdf:08e9f]http://www.creekcompany.com/pdf/816.pdf[/url:08e9f]

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"

[This message has been edited by dixieangler (edited 17 May 2006).]
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

I have had a togiak for five years and have fished it quite a bit. Rugged tube with lots of storage. Valves are a pain in the butt, but I have never had one leak (I don't put anything in that pocket when I'm on the water) I also like the fact that it has a foam seat as an extra floatation device as well as 2 bladders.

------------------
    The best time to go fishing is when it's raining and when it's not
    The Best time to fishing is when it's raining and when it's not

Thank you for your replys. I would probably like a more intricate valve as I lost the valve flap and am constanlty refilling.I also am looking for something a little more hydrodynamic that will get my butt a little higher out of the water. I don't want to go to a pontoon as I like to keep my hands on my rod and line when I troll from one spot to another. Lastly Robert, I notice that you are posting from Fl. Please stay safe. When I float tube in Wisconsin I'm the top of the food chain. Apparently,based on recent news events a float tuber in Fl. is just a strike indicator with the meal attached. Hmmmmmmmmm. Thanks again

------------------
    "Illegitimus nil Carborundum"

Thanks for the words of safety, Coach Robb. But I don't use the cat during gator mating season and very seldom if at all during the summer. I'm also careful about "where" I go as well as "when". Gators are less active during the cooler months and they usually don't bother me on the boat. I would not even think about using a float tube down here for that very reason.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

+ Reply to Thread