+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Visitors ...

Arrow Visitors ...

... in the middle of the night ...

... tearing up the lawn ...

... tromping around on the drive way ...

... and making tracks quite close by ...

Just before midnight, my wife woke me up to let me know some visitors had arrived. A small band of elk, eleven or twelve, were scattered around the yard scraping away the snow cover and chomping on the grass left over from the fall.

Not an unusual event this time of year. Each of the past two winters we have had several visits by herds ranging from twenty to fifty elk around our yard or bedded down in the meadow just behind our lot. This year we've had six visits by mostly smaller bunches, ranging from the dozen last night up to about forty a couple weeks ago.

But last night was a real treat. I went out to the garage to observe a couple of our visitors more closely. I was standing inside the door shown in the last pic, leaning on the inner door frame. All of a sudden, an elk head appeared, at the left edge and then fully framed in the window, and within inches of the glass.

At one point, she turned her head and touched the glass with her nose, and seconds later she touched the door knob, but the door was locked and that was the end of that.

John

P.S. First thing this morning, just before dawn, stepping outside into the cold and stillness, I could hear several of the elk up in the woods on the hill behind the house calling to each other. Neat way to start the day.
    The fish are always right.

What fun! Glad she touched the glass gently.

NewTyer 1 Guest

I would love Montana, you have the life. World class trout and Cut fishing and hunting

Way kewl!!!
    ....lee s.

Ah John.....just when I thought your posts couldn't get any better !!!
    I agree with Lee S.....................Way cool !
    Bernie

Blog Entries

John,

Sounds like you better make sure you keep the garage door closed all the time, an elk inside the house would really make a mess. A friend of mine just bought a house in Montana. The seller cautioned him about keeping his doors closed all the time. The original owner once left his garage door open and when he walked in, he found a black bear snooping around inside.

With elk that close to your house, I am sure there are no rose bushes, nor small fruit trees, those are really a treat for deer and elk to nibble.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Blog Entries

That is so cool! I love the pictures that go along with your story. Thanks for taking the time to take, and post them.

Karli-Rae
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

John, do the elk not graze on the landscaping and shrubbery around the houses. We are "blessed" with whitetail deer around here, of course the difference in condition is the population density of people make us hazardous to each other. I was out checking the hydrangea I had moved to a better growing site for my wife and notice something was different in the area. The hostas I had planted adjacent to the spot were completely missing. It could have been a rabbit or rabbits but hostas as noted as prime deer foliage.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

I wonder what it says about me that my first reaction is "Wow, that's a LOT of fur for fly tying!" lol
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

+ Reply to Thread