+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trip Out West

In contrast to herefishy, I hate September. From Labor Day to around the equinox, it's difficult to decide whether it's summer or fall, there's bright sun but low water so the fish are spookier than they were earlier when the water was higher or later when the light is flatter, and at least in the Yellowstone area it is substantially more crowded with people trying to beat the crowds than it is the last ten days of August or after September 20.

For a first-time visit to the West, the 10th of July through July can't be beat. There are more people then, but also a lot more water in the rivers, including side channels, so the crowds get attenuated some, the fish are dumb because it's just after runoff, and there are lots of hatches. I always suggest this timeframe (or slightly later in wet years) for a first visit to my area (Yellowstone Park and Yellowstone River area), simply because it's more consistent both in terms of weather and fishing. Earlier and later in the year are often "better," but less consistent and often more "specialized" in terms of where to fish and what to fish with.

Unless you're coming for a month or more, limit your trip to a smaller geographic area at least for fishing purposes. For the most part people have more fun when they visit Area X and get to fish the one or two big name rivers there, plus several of the medium-name rivers creeks and lakes, as well as a couple of the little mountain creeks with a million 8" fish and no other people, all without having to rush around too much. It stinks to have to move on to Famous River Y right after you discover you really like one little tributary of a tributary of Famous River X.

I know a little bit about the areas you indicated that you are thinking of visiting, as I reside about half the year on the Yellowstone River in Paradise Valley, 35 miles north of Yellowstone National Park, and I fish the Yellowstone River or other places in the area practically every day from May to early October.

That is such a large area you are thinking of visiting, however, and with such a large variety of fishing opportunities, that it might help those of us giving you suggestions, if we had a better idea about the type of fishing you and (presumably your wife?) are looking for. Large rivers or smaller ones? Lakes perhaps? Public water or private? Do you want to walk in (read as "hike" in) or fish road side? Are you looking for a drift boat float fishing trip with a guide, a walk-in trip, or something other?

Quote Originally Posted by jmako View Post
    however one could never get a trip planned based on what the weather might do. Hurricane season here is from June through November, so i guess i could say don't come to Florida during those seven months..
    Ain't that the truth. Last 5 times we fished in Florida we hit 3 hurricanes (2 in one trip), one tropical storm, and 4 days of 90+ temps in mid-October which screwed up the mullet run. We went back and forth while planning the trips, trying to pick times where we'd avoid the worst of the weather but at some point you just pull the trigger and play the cards you're dealt. One of the most memorable days was fishing in horizontal rain on some canals behind a shopping mall for peacocks, cichlids and oscars, then hopping on the flight back home a bit "squishy".
    If you do plan to fish around YNP, Wally (Longs for Cutts) and John can both give you solid advice. Have fun, catch a bunch and take some pics.

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by John Rhoades View Post
    I know a little bit about the areas you indicated that you are thinking of visiting, as I reside about half the year on the Yellowstone River in Paradise Valley, 35 miles north of Yellowstone National Park, and I fish the Yellowstone River or other places in the area practically every day from May to early October.

That is such a large area you are thinking of visiting, however, and with such a large variety of fishing opportunities, that it might help those of us giving you suggestions, if we had a better idea about the type of fishing you and (presumably your wife?) are looking for. Large rivers or smaller ones? Lakes perhaps? Public water or private? Do you want to walk in (read as "hike" in) or fish road side? Are you looking for a drift boat float fishing trip with a guide, a walk-in trip, or something other?
    We have never been to that part of the country, so we are trying to combine some fly fishing with sight seeing. This is why it seems like I am covering a pretty large area. What we are looking for is two or three full day fly fishing trips with guides. We would like to include a float trip along with a couple of guided trips to rivers or streams. We are not yet zeroed in on exactly where to go, but that area around Yellowstone looks attractive to us. You guys have given me some great thoughts and I really appreciate it.
    We have fly fished in Arkansas, Tennessee and North Carolina and I am to the point of enjoying fly fishing more than running offshore in my boat that sits at my dock in the back yard.

Blog Entries

If you are around Yellowstone in late Sept. you can fish to big browns and rainbows moving up the Madison in the lower Park near the West entrance.

If you haven't been to the area, I'm sure you will want to spend time sightseeing in Yellowstone National Park, and in the Tetons near Jackson Hole.

As far as fishing in the area, around Livingston, MT you could check with George Anderson's Yellowstone Angler fly shop (and guide/outfitter Bob Bergquist). Or, there is also guide/outfitter Tom Travis (do a search for a number of his articles that have been published on this website) that has a wealth of knowledge on the fishing in that area, including the Spring Creeks in Paradise Valley. I'm sure that Walt Weisse ("Longs for Cutts", also on this forum) who guides out of Parks Fly Shop in Gardiner could give you a memorable day of floating and fishing on the upper Yellowstone River, and either suggest, or take you fishing to one or more of his favorite places inside the Park.

In West Yellowstone, I'd check with Craig Mathews at Blue Ribbon Flies, and perhaps spend a day floating or wade fishing the Madison River , or fishing one of the many other lakes, rivers or streams in that area. Lastly, I'd look at a day of guided float fishing on the South Fork of the Snake river below the Palisades Dam, near Swan Valley. east of Idaho Falls.

Any of these fly shops could recommend places to stay. I agree with Longs for Cutts about the fishing in July; however, hopper fishing in August can also be lots of fun (although perhaps more dependent on the wind and weather conditions from one day to the next). By mid-September, streamer fishing for large browns starts to come into play, and although it's always nice to hook one of these larger fish, it can be more physically demanding to throw large streamers for several or more hours on end.

John

Blog Entries

The most productive patterns I have seen used on the Madison at the Barns' pools are the old, familiar big nymph patterns floated through the pools. The fishing and catching can be furious. Since popular, you will have plenty of time to "rest" as fishers "que" up and take turns fishing through the runs.
    Any of the shops in West Yellowstone: Blue Ribbon Flies, Madison River Outfitters, Arrick's, Bud Lilly's, or Bob Jacklin's can advise you or guide you.........

If you're looking for some real good dry fly fishing, mid/late July-August can be fantastic. Caddis (hydropsyche and little black whatevertheyare), mayflies (flavs, epeorus, pmd, heptagenia, callibaetis, tricos, etc), yellow sallies, mutant stones, spruce flies, hopper/beetle/ants; you can fish from sun-up to well after dark (if you're into throwing mice patterns you can pull an all-nighter). Lots of water, lots of fish, lots of fun; lots of people in/around the Park but you can either enjoy their company or avoid it by walking a bit, fishing real early and/or real late or fishing some of the blue lines that don't get a whole lot of press. Check Wally's Trip Planner to get an idea of what to expect around YNP - http://www.parksflyshop.com/howto/pl.../planning.html

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 01-15-2013 at 02:52 PM.

This past summer, a friend and I took a little 3 day road trip to check out some areas we had never been to before. We live near Idaho Falls. It wasn't a fishing trip, so we didn't take any gear. We went North and then through Yellowstone and out the East entrance, to Cody Wyoming. Took in the Buffalo Bill museums there. Then proceeded over Big Horn pass and down to Sheridan. Checked out the Big Horn River. It's now on my bucket list. We then went west to the Little Bighorn National Battlefield. Highly recommended. From there, west to Billings. We turned South a bit further west from Billings, and took the road over Beartooth Pass, down into Yellowstone Park again. Keep your cameras handy. Spectacular scenery. Plan three days to see the park and fish the streams. That's about half enough time for a rushed trip. Lots of streams and lakes in the area outside the park as well. Then there's Grand Teton National Park. On second thought, forget it. You'd need the whole summer.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

i've been out west the past 2 septembers and had great trips with hardly seeing another soul. this past year we went with 4 rivers outfitters, http://www.4riversmontana.com/ out of twin bridges MT. they treated us great and I will be fishing with them again. they have rooms in town or cabins outside town. the year before we fished with deschutes river anglers http://www.deschutesriveranglers.com/Steelhead.html at the owyhee river in OR. we fished for trout but they also specialize in steelhead on the deschutes river. again they were great to deal with and we caught losts of big fish. good luck you'll have fun

+ Reply to Thread