+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dream summer trip...where to go?

Have you considered New Mexico...like maybe the San Juan River?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

If you want to go somewhere where everyone can stay bussy and you can slip off and do some fishing I strongly recomend Sun River, Oregon. There are several lakes, rivers, and streams within a hours drive and there are lots of things to do for the rest of the family. You can camp or rent a house, or stay at the lodge. Contact me if you want more info.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascade_Lakes

http://www.discoversunriver.com/?NCK...Fad_Qgodk20AGg

PS: Did I mention three (3) Fly shops in Sun River, and lots of guides.
    Last edited by desertman; 01-16-2013 at 05:24 PM.
    There are moments when, whatever be the attitude of the body, the soul is on its knees.
    R.Y.

Pillcaster did a great job of presenting info on the Smokies. Sharon at Dock's is the third generation owner and runs a very nice motel/cabin place to stay. Cable TV, WIFI and access to the Little River with horse back rides just across the street and a cafe next door that puts sweet pickles in thier club sandwiches!! (Yummm!) Very quiet place to stay at very reasonable rates. Pigeon Forge is just a senic drive away (Don't go on the week ends!!).
    Little River Outfitters is a great place to visit and their web site gives daily water conditions and fishing reports.
    Sounds like your wife would love the ride through the Park, especially the "Dragons Tail" where only the passengers can view the scenery 'cause you will be too busy steering around the curves!!
    They say it's on the Quiet Side of the Smokies and they are righ!!

PM sent...
    sandfly/bob
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215
    I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing ghillie..

When our kids were this age, one of the best trips we took was to SE Utah. Rafting the Colorado, hiking in the National Parks, rock climbing, mountain biking and you can probably fish your way over there from Jackson. Lots of history in the area too. Have some fun with your research, keep your mind open. There's a ton of opportunities for fun with your kids out there.

Pssshhhh. 12 hour a day car drive road trips!! You could get there (YNP) in a couple days! Remember when you were a kids and dad threw everyone in the car? Of course you do! Your kids could remember that too!!
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

you can have it all and not drive more than 15 minutes at the grand canyon of Pa.
    sandfly/bob
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215
    I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing ghillie..

My wife and I spent almost a month in and around Pagosa Springs, Colorado.Fishing for trout,bass and green perch. Rafting on the San Juan, hiking in the mountains, soaking in hot springs and excellent dining. A great day trip for the family is the narrow guage train ride from Durango to Silverton and back. That's about a 75 minute drive from Pagosa. We rented a cabin on Lake Pagosa for the month through VRBO for $1,900. Check it out. Oh yeah, someone mentioned New Mexico and the San Juan river. That area of the San Juan is only about 1 1/2 hours from Pagosa Springs and a very nice day trip. But once you start fishing in the lakes and rivers and creeks around Pagosa you won't want to leave. It is a little over 7,000 ft elevation and probably still a little chilly in late May but not too bad. Just my .02 cents worth. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Driftless!
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

This site tracks Colorado's snowpack by river basin. I'll say it again, this is not a good year to travel a long distance to CO for trout fishing.
    http://www.co.nrcs.usda.gov/snow/sno.../swe_time.html

+ Reply to Thread