+ Reply to Thread

Thread: White Mtn. Backwoods Fishing...

Default White Mtn. Backwoods Fishing...

Recently converting or taking up fishing on top of hiking, I couldn't help but remember that I've never seen anybody on the backcountry waterways (rivers, streams, ponds) fishing. All the anglers I've seen have been right off the roadways or on the larger lakes. Does anybody have any experience or knowledge with this?

I know the N.H. Fish and Game site has a listing of "remote" fishing holes, but to me they're still not all that remote. I'm interested in wild trout and wondering if the headwaters that don't have trails out to them hold any fish?

-Pemi

As a young boy in high school, a friend and I hiked 13 miles, up hill all the way from the Columbia River gorge in Oregon to Whatum Lake. We had planned the hike for months, excited as we finally ,after almost a whole day of clawing and crawling with our heavy packs, nearing the lake only to discouver it crowded with campers and the like. That year the Forest Service opened a new road into the lake. We spend the night and headed back down the gorge fishing the creek that went from the lake to the Columbia. We did catch some nice rainbows. The year was 1963.

------------------
    I learn more about the world while talking to myself when fishing alone

[This message has been edited by Jonezee (edited 16 May 2006).]

Some years back, American Angler magazine had a pictorial artical on back country fly fishing in the Pemi wilderness. Something I've always meant to do.
    Althought many streams of the north country are scoured by run off each spring there is still some insect life (black flies anyway) and plenty of small brookies
    Some streams north of the WMNF area,like the Dead rivers, are well known for their back country fishing.

------------------
    Friends don't let friends drive gas hogs
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

check out this book- Ponds and Lakes of the White Mountains. The ponds are much more fertile there then the streams and are located in some beautiful areas(ie-Carter notch). I prefer the small donut float tube for hiking. It packs down in a compression stuff sack quite well.

I have floated the Pemi from time to time, its a blast. try it at dusk or just after, you will find fish you didn't even think existed

------------------
    "The more widely one observes nature, the more it appeals to one's soul. Why? Because there is a music there; and the wider one's outlook on life becomes, the deeper one's understanding of life, the more music one can listen to, the music that
    answers the whole universe." --Inayat Khan

DarksStar, where along the Pemi did you fish? I'm going to be hiking about 8 miles from the highway, I figure the pressure from fishing would be a lot less out there so perhaps there may still me some large trout hanging around.

There are a great many ponds that don't even have trails going to them...I've been looking to head out to them as well...I'm just looking for some good trout runs...what may be left of them up in that area.

We used to put in at Lincoln and float to Plymouth(or Campton if we didn't have as much time) The deep holes hold some very large trout. Quite a change from the puny stockies you encounter at the road crossings. I never hiked it but used a pontoon boat and sometimes a canoe.

drop me a line if you want-
    fishcane@gmail.com

------------------
    "The more widely one observes nature, the more it appeals to one's soul. Why? Because there is a music there; and the wider one's outlook on life becomes, the deeper one's understanding of life, the more music one can listen to, the music that
    answers the whole universe." --Inayat Khan

+ Reply to Thread