+ Reply to Thread

Thread: motors on canoes

Default motors on canoes

I bought a canoe and I'm trying to adapt it for a trolling motor mount. I have read that I should be careful not to put too much push on it.?? Have you had any experiences with this? I was reading that some outboard mounts are hinged have you ever done this or seen it done? Have you ever used outriggers/stabilizers on a canoe?

What canoe ???????

Geezer
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

Hi chubs,
    I recently purchased a 14 ft. Raddison canoe which comes with foam sponsons attached. Weighs 41 lbs. It also included the motor mount. After a bit of checking on the Web I asked the sales person about an electric motor to push it, perhaps about 50# thrust. He said way more than I needed. You'll do fine with a 30# thrust. He was right. With my wife and I on board and the engine at top speed, it goes every bit as quickly as I want it to go. there are slower speeds for trolling, but that top speed will get us out of troublesome weather pretty quickly. And he saved my lottsa dollars to boot.
    If you have a bigger, heavier canoe. a more powerful motor mightr be useful. Can't help you in that area. My little rig sings a good song.

HTH,

Bill
    Name notes where I fish and for what I fish.

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

chubs,

Keep in mind that once you put a motor on it you may have to register it. Perhaps not in MN but here in FL we do. That does include trolling motors.
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

I used a Minnkota 30# thrust on my 17' alum. canoe and it pushed it just fine. There is a motor mount on LL Bean under canoe accesories. I built my own many years ago and just sold the canoe and gave them the mount. My pattern was in an old Outdoor Life mag. If you want more info on how I built it, email me. Oregon also requires licensing if you add any type of motor.
    Mike

Hey chubs, I made mine out of a block of wood laying down. Just cut out some groves so that it would fit properly and then sawed the groves accordinglty. Then put a wooden hing on the oppposite side of the trolling motor so the piece of wood didn't come off. I can email you a pix if you want one...

But as for stabilizers, I feel i really depends on the canoe itself. Some are really tipsy, in other words easy to tip so you might have to try to figure that one out depending on if you feel comfortable in your canoe...I would even say find a pool or small pond and without putting gear in it take it out, turn in it, move in it, stand in it if you're brave enough, and see how comfortable you are, just remember to always have a life jacket. DNR could get you in a boat without one...in Ga it's required by law..But good luck

chubs,

FL_SKIBUM ain't just whistling Dixie . Any motor or engine on a water craft and the craft must be registered at a tag office here in Florida. There must be a PFD (at least a "class III" I think) for every person in the craft also. FWC game warden officers strictly enforce those state regulations here.

My fishing buddy has a registered 17 foot square (flat) stern Grumman aluminum canoe with a little 2.5 hp. Yamaha on the back. Not really a rowing canoe (double end) but it covers a lot more water with the outboard engine.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"

[This message has been edited by dixieangler (edited 15 May 2006).]
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Littlebrook, I have that same model canoe, came with the bracket and I have a 45lb electric that I'm curious to try, but here in Mass the powers that be require us to register it. (Not called Taxachussetts for nothing) Thanks for posting, I may have to try that, just not turn it up to full power. I've resisted so far because it makes for more gear to haul for what I originally planned as a low maint, spur of the moment type craft..

[This message has been edited by backbeach (edited 15 May 2006).]

Hi backbeach,
    If I had your 45# thrust motor I'd certainly want to try it. I'd wait for good conditions, little wind and wave, then open it up, probably in a little bay, and see what it does. Of course for general use you can use much less battery power (longer life) for normal use.
    Running it wide open you may be able to tow water skiiers! (Not on a displacement hull!)
    Have Fun!
    Bill

------------------
    Name indicates where I fish and for what I fish.
    Name notes where I fish and for what I fish.

Hey chubs, for what it's worth, I have a 9' pontoon that I put a minn kota 28# on. It's great for geting out of trouble (high winds). My partner and I were out on a local lake , he was in a u boat, (no motor). The wind came up strong enough that he wasn't getting back to the truck. So he hooked up to me, (finger hold on the ring at the back of a toon), and away we went. Got back to the truck with plenty of power to spare. Wish we had a cam corder. I only use it for those windy days, with force fins and an ore for rudder, I get around great.

+ Reply to Thread