+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Bela's gone.

Unhappy My Bela's gone.

The last few months my Queensland Heeler, Bela, has been going downhill. The vet said cancer and a bad heart. Keep her comfortable and warm. I knew she wouldn't last long so I have been doing what I could to help her. Warm food, shelter and a new winter bed. We came home last night from visiting friends who are leaving on a trip to Florida for the holidays and when I went to bring her in for the night, she didn't respond. She had died while we were gone. My wife and I dug up a spot in the corner of the garden next to where we buried Abner in 99. We put a few of her toys with her and buried her there. She was born in November of 1997. I adopted her from the Humane Society in December of 97 and have had her with me for 15 years. She was a good dog and I'm going to miss her. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Having been there too many times, I feel your pain Jim.....

Cliff

Jim,

I've always had at least one dog. This past summer, two dogs that I shared the last 13 and 7 years with crossed the Rainbow Bridge. So I certainly empathize with your loss.
    Last month I rescued 'Shadow'(her name) from our city animal control pound. She's a mix but not sure of what. Solid black, tall and about 44#s skinny. Has a very narrow body and sort of an Afgan face and nose with Weimaraner eyes. She had all the reactions of a dog that had been abused. It took 3 days, about 1/2 hour a day, of just sitting in her cage and talking to her before she'd even come close enough for me to pet her. She was also about 10 pounds underweight. Well, about a week later, I adopted her and brought her home. She gets along great with our 2 cats, is very friendly, walks nicely, plays with other dogs without any sign of aggression, and has gained about 7 pounds in the last 4 weeks. She is still somewhat skittish but it's only been a month or so. Anyway, the point I was hoping I'd make is that we never get over the loss of our companion dogs but, if we're fortunate, we can rescue a dog and maybe by doing so, rescue a little bit of ourselves.
    Well, sorry for your loss.

Allan
    Last edited by Allan; 12-20-2012 at 06:09 PM.

I'm sorry for your loss. I know it's hard because just reading your post made me realize once more how much I miss my late mutt, Penny. They leave deep paw prints on our hearts.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

NewTyer 1 Guest

As a kid we had many dogs and have been there also but, before I went on deployment I bought my wife a beautiful Golden Retriever puppy. She called it Bella also, which as you know mines beautiful woman. She was a very good companion for my wife and she does not know how she would have made it without her. This is her first dog ever and it is going to hit her hard when that time comes. I'm sorry for your lose.

Thanks to all for your responses. I named her Bela after the banjo player from Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. She was a pretty dog though. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

The main fault I find in dogs is their short lifespan. I've been through this several times and it never gets any easier.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowchaser View Post
    The main fault I find in dogs is their short lifespan. I've been through this several times and it never gets any easier.
    I'm not so sure. I think if they lived much longer, we'd die of grief when we lost them.
    Love your dog and take of your dog. Dogs need your time, attention, and affection as much as food, water, and shelter. When they are gone, you will have fond memories and not regrets.

Ed

I had a friend who was buried this morning in Madison, MS whose dogs outlived him, two Boston Terriers. His oldest daughter was trying to convince my wife to take them. They were probably his closest friend since the death of his wife a few years back. I hope they find a good home for them, they will probably miss him as much as you miss your pup.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread