Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So what do you do when you can no longer fly fish?

I have been an on-again / off-again fly fisherman since I was 14, over 45 years now. When it seems like something I don't want to do, I set it aside and have come back to it many times. As you might imagine, I am in one of those on-again stages at the moment. When I was younger, I did not fish for several years because I was fanatically interested in climbing mountains. As age caught up with me, my body told me that fishing was more enjoyable overall compared to 16 hour days going as hard as I could go. About 10 years ago, I herniated a disk in my neck. That put an end to the climbing and even the fishing for about a year. I have several hobbies, including fly tying, rod building and woodworking. There are times when each one seems like THE thing that I want to do, and other times when I am happy to set them aside for long stretches. I always seem to come back at some point.

So, put your rods aside for some time. Sell or give some away, but don't divest yourself of all of them. I think there is a very good chance you will feel the urge again. I always seem to.

Ted

I try not to think about that day

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    I try not to think about that day
    Likewise!!!
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Nighthawk, I understand the time is coming when I probably won't be able to participate in but one or two of the pass times mentioned. That is one of the reasons I hoped it didn't come off as sounding "flip". I am truly blessed that I can still do about what I want....just not at the same level as before. And, I know it could all change or end on the way to town this afternoon or when I go to the woods later to haul in a load of firewood I cut last weekend. No man knows the hour or the day.

My heart is warmed by what you said about your faith and Jesus. I am glad you have that, too many do not. I don't know what I would do without it. God bless you brother.

ted, I understand exactly what you're talking about. Sometimes it seems I flit from one thing to another, but I love them all.

As we age sometimes our disability' catches up to us.Hopefully the memories stay with us.That is why I enjoy this site so much.I can continue to experience the travels thru the members.I am pretty sure I won't be fishing Patagonia but I can drift away occasionally here.

Blog Entries

My father took up birding when he no longer was physically capable of flyfishing. It can be done anywhere, any time (well, mostly in daylight), at any level you desire, from just looking out the window to travel and listing and organized events. I figure it gave him a couple more years than he would have lasted without something interesting and changing for him to do.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps View Post
    Nighthawk, I understand the time is coming when I probably won't be able to participate in but one or two of the pass times mentioned. That is one of the reasons I hoped it didn't come off as sounding "flip". I am truly blessed that I can still do about what I want....just not at the same level as before. And, I know it could all change or end on the way to town this afternoon or when I go to the woods later to haul in a load of firewood I cut last weekend. No man knows the hour or the day.

My heart is warmed by what you said about your faith and Jesus. I am glad you have that, too many do not. I don't know what I would do without it. God bless you brother.

ted, I understand exactly what you're talking about. Sometimes it seems I flit from one thing to another, but I love them all.
    Oh no it didn't sound flip at all. It did remind me that you and I don't know each other therefore there is no way you along with all the others here can know what my day is like unless I lay it out start to finish. It is my sincere hope that out of my pain will come the realization for all here on the board sooner or later we all face the day when we will no longer be able to do most of the things we love doing. Please don't let it blindside you like it did me. You are all very intelligent folks and intelligent minds need to be kept busy through physical activities. Plan for the future by finding some more sedentary hobbies that engage the mind. Please don't anybody procrastinate no matter how much you don't want to think about it. Of an here is an example of the Appalachian Mountain Dulcimer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UurHbXwVo04

Love the instrument!

Blessing to all.

Quote Originally Posted by rayhill190 View Post
    As we age sometimes our disability' catches up to us.Hopefully the memories stay with us.That is why I enjoy this site so much.I can continue to experience the travels thru the members.I am pretty sure I won't be fishing Patagonia but I can drift away occasionally here.
    For sure brother. For sure.

Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    My father took up birding when he no longer was physically capable of flyfishing. It can be done anywhere, any time (well, mostly in daylight), at any level you desire, from just looking out the window to travel and listing and organized events. I figure it gave him a couple more years than he would have lasted without something interesting and changing for him to do.
    Yep goes hand in hand with the photography. It is so hard for me to walk now so the long periods of sitting still suit birding quite well. I could sit on my front proch this summer and watch the bald eagles flying through the Susquehanna River valley doing their form of fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Stratton View Post
    Eric,

I am still able to get out and wet lines, but I am older and the cold bothers me more each year. Losing the circulation in my feet cause some pain now no matter how many pairs of socks I wear. I prefer to fish for winter steelhead which is a young man's game. I know I have a few more years that I can fish for steelhead but even now the days are cut short. I no longer fish the river from sun up to sun down. It is only a matter of time before I will no longer be able to stand to the cold of a January morning fishing in the snow and wading waters with temps in the upper thirties. It will be then I pick up the camera full time. Even now I spend much of my fishing time documenting the sport of fly fishing for steelhead with images. I love fly fishing so much that I will continue to be involved in some form or another. I wish I could help in someway. If I were closer I would pick you up in the morning, tell you to grab your camera and lenses, we are going to shoot images of fly fishermen and the places they fish. It is the beauty of those places that trout live that give me a reason.

Peace,

Kerry
    Kerry how I would love to do the photography things with you! It has become such a passion of mine that, just like fly fishing used to be, I thoroughly enjoy meeting other photographers. I did not buy my hunting license this year, first time in decades, because I cannot walk or stand while feeling that I am safe to be around with the firearm. I will continue to buy my fishing license and purchase a hinting license next year because that funding goes into a lot of good programs. Since I can no longer drag a deer out of the woods I think my firearm of choice will be my DSLR with a nice, fast lens on it.

NewTyer 1 Guest

I would like to see some of your woodwork Ted.

Quote Originally Posted by tedshuck View Post
    I have been an on-again / off-again fly fisherman since I was 14, over 45 years now. When it seems like something I don't want to do, I set it aside and have come back to it many times. As you might imagine, I am in one of those on-again stages at the moment. When I was younger, I did not fish for several years because I was fanatically interested in climbing mountains. As age caught up with me, my body told me that fishing was more enjoyable overall compared to 16 hour days going as hard as I could go. About 10 years ago, I herniated a disk in my neck. That put an end to the climbing and even the fishing for about a year. I have several hobbies, including fly tying, rod building and woodworking. There are times when each one seems like THE thing that I want to do, and other times when I am happy to set them aside for long stretches. I always seem to come back at some point.

So, put your rods aside for some time. Sell or give some away, but don't divest yourself of all of them. I think there is a very good chance you will feel the urge again. I always seem to.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by NewTyer 1 View Post
    I would like to see some of your woodwork Ted.
    PM sent, since this is a fly fishing forum...
    Ted

Closed Thread