+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pfleuger Medalist 1492 reel

Default Pfleuger Medalist 1492 reel

I just bought this reel yesterday from my local fly shop. It is a very nice reel but there is on problem I have with it. Why can't I chage it to a left hand retrieve? It says I need to buy extra parts to do that. Does anyone have any experience with this? I don't know what to do because holding the rod in my left hand and reeling with my right feels very wierd.

Thank You,
    Nick

The 1492 and 1492 1/2 Medalists I have can not be changed from right to left hand retrieve. The line guard can not be put on the other side of the reel, no holes for screws, but I think that is the only reason.
    I have never examined a Medalist that was made recently, mine are all pretty old, there may have been some changes since mine were made.

When I started fly fishing all reels that I could afford were right hand retrieve only. Every reel I have bought since I have left right hand retrieve...that is what is natural to me.

Fish4life. My experience with changing Medalist from right to left hand has mixed emotions. You have to turn the click ring upside down. You will notice the amount of drag holes is not the same on the other side, hence a differnce sound-type of click when reeling in. Also, be very careful you don't loose the tiny spring and pawl that engauges the ring. My suggestion is to email bill@onefoot.com This compaany makes replacement parts for all Medalists. Ask him your question, he will reply with details and helpful information. Good luck, Jonezee

Jonzee...the 1492 is a click pawl reel and does not have a drag plate. The only Medalist that does not.

Buzz;
    I am fortunate to live next door to a tool shop. They layed out and counter bored new holes for the line guide so I could move it.
    I tie fly's for the owner as payment for the little government job's he does for me.
    I have it on my 6.5' 2 wt.

------------------
    Don't forget the Michigan Fish-In August 14th to the 20th. The Holy Water's of the Au Sable await you!!

Cactus

Nick,,, take it back! ask THEM to reverse it...

My suggestion is to email bill@onefoot.com

Jonezee,
    The correct address is bill@onepfoot.com. Actually, I checked out [url=http://www.onefoot.com:fb8a6]www.onefoot.com[/url:fb8a6] even though I knew it was not correct. Kind of amusing.

Jeff

------------------
    I work only so that I can afford to fish

It said in the directions that you can reverse every Medalist reel without extra parts except models 1492 and 1492 1/2. I don't know if I need to order parts or something I'm going to check it out. I was thinking about drilling a hole and switchin the line hole to the other side. It would work but it would be reeling in the opposite direction.

Nick

fish4, just reverse the pawls....doesnt matter what direction you reel.

Buzz,
    It's only a single action fly reel.

+ Reply to Thread