+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ice ... and trout

That's a great winter there. Any skwalas out and about on the rivers up there yet, or still a bit early? I got into the first decent skwala action I have had in two years here today. What a fun hatch when you actually hit it right.

Yes I saw it on the FOTW thread you did a while ago. I am sure it would work great. I will have to tie a few up and give them a go. Skwalas here can be such a hit or miss hatch that I have a hard time stocking my box with good patterns for them. I always forget to tie a few up when I am doing my winter tying then all of a sudden I am on the river in the spring and see them crawling around and end up having to scrounge around the fly box trying to find an appropriate pattern. I think i ended up using a store bought fly today for the first time since I can remember.

John, great pics on beautiful water. Is old rubber legs your own making and are you willing to share the recipe?

John you truly are my fishing hero !

Keep it up as long as you can but be careful out there. Speaking of which, what are you wearing for footwear when it's icy out ?

Rich
    "Growin up leads to growin old and then to dyin. Dyin to me don't sound like all that much fun." J Mellencamp

Blog Entries

Nice fishies, John. Remind me to take my camera on Thursday, maybe I will show you what is swimming around the icy water down here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    Dennis -

This is a reminder to please take your camera tomorrow.

And please post some pix of the fishies that come to play.

John
    The motion has beend seconded.
    Besides, we need to see a picture of somebody else's left thumb.

Ed

Blog Entries

Left thumb? I will have you know my photos are all works of art!

Blog Entries

Okay, first of all, I have to state that it was not icy this morning. In fact, it was in the low 40s when we left at 5 am for the river, and 42 when we got there. I could see snow in the mountains, though.

Imagine it looked like this (although it didn't, but this is the same place)...

Second fish of the day was a ratty male brown still scarred up from the recent spawning... and barely light enough to see to cast.

While we dredged most of the morning with woolly bugger and a glo bug, I did give up and streamer fish after the rain stopped, and ran into several fish like this...

and this...

and even a couple of these...

Hard to take those left thumb pics with a lot of these fish, since they are kind of wiggly and I don't want to squeeze...

Thirty-odd fish today, a dozen of them browns in the 16-20 range and two cutts like the one in the pic, the rest smaller browns and rainbows. My partner did well as well.
    Last edited by DG; 12-06-2012 at 05:17 PM.

Morning John...just a note of thanks for your posts. I never fail to access you at least once a day...you might say I am fanatical.
    Bernie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    ... with the "somebody else's left thumb" thing, Ed.

BUT how about a right hand ...

<snip>

John

P.S. You have no idea how hard it was to change hands for the holding and the shooting after all the pix I've done to show off my left thumb.
    Actually I do have an idea. Most cameras are made to be operated with the right hand, since most people are right-handed. People get used to (develop muscle memory) doing things a certain way. In addition, if you arent left-handed, then that has to be added into the mix of factors. I appreciate the extra effort, even if the trout(s) didn't.

Please be aware that I in no way intended to imply that I had found any fault with your left thumb, but we have seen rather a lot of it over the years.

Warm regards,
    Ed

+ Reply to Thread