+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Green Paradrake SBS

Default Green Paradrake SBS

Figured I'd tie this in tandem with the GD Wulff and have a real para Drakes; first time with one of these so there's bugs to be worked out

hook - Mustad 94840 #10
    thread - Danville Flymaster Plus yellow
    tail - moose body
    body/head - elk hair olive
    wing - Congo Hair grey
    hackle - grizzly dyed bright green
    rib - tying thread

Part 1

mash barb and attach thread at head (gap width)

cut a clump of elk hair (be generous, you'll want more than you think is necessary); clean, stack and measure for length (shank x 1.5)

trim the butts, a couple soft loops right at the hook eye and then pull firmly, letting the hair spin around the shank

trim butts

flip fly over and tie a hank of Congo Hair (or any other hydrophobic fiber you care to use) on underside of hook

flip fly back over, post wing with thread wraps and apply a bit of Sally

tie in hackle up to top of post, shiny side out (I have 2 hackles here; hedging my bets in case one is not dense enough)

cut a clump of moose body hair, clean, stack measure for length (shank x 2)

tie in, trim butts and cover with thread wraps to smooth out underbody; return thread to front of wing

Last edited by ScottP; 11-28-2012 at 05:00 PM.

Part 2

push deer hair back with finger (try to make sure it surrounds the head)

pinch hair tight against hook shank, 2 soft loops, then pull tight

cross thread behind wing to create next segment

and so forth and so on

continue wraps up tail

then cross back down

trim tips of body hair close to last thread wrap; return thread to front of wing and start wrapping hackle from the top down

big fly's gonna want a lot of hackle; got about 12 wraps out of this saddle feather (the extra I tied in wasn't needed so I snipped it off); let the hackle hang down on near side of fly, tie off with wraps at the base of the wing and let Sally do her magic

trim wing to length and you're done

Next one I tie, I'm starting at the tail and working forwards; the deer hair for the head/body kept on getting in the way.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 11-29-2012 at 06:46 AM.

All of the fly patterns that Scott has submitted have been great and I very much appreciate the step-by-step tying instructions. My only concern is that they are not submitted as a FOTW which is very disappointing because we have no way to access them again once they are gone. If I am not correct with this, please let me know if they are somewhere else on this site so that "down the road" I can access them again like I can on the archives of the FOTW.

I really appreciate Scott's step-by-step tying instructions and the quality of his flies and only wish that they could be accessed again by me and other members.

Don't mean to upset anyone with this. It is just a shame to not be able to access these great flies and patterns once they leave the BB.

Hopefully, I am wrong and they are being saved somewhere......
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

NewTyer 1 Guest

This looks great. A little more complicated than I can handle but, I love the step by step. Thank you.

Warren , one thing you can do is use a pdf writer and save the whole thread to your computer. I suspect FAOL would like to see them as FOTW.

Very nice! Could see this working well as a hex pattern, too.
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

NewTyer 1 Guest

Can you think of what I might tie with a green, yellow and red parrot feathers

Quote Originally Posted by NewTyer 1 View Post
    Can you think of what I might tie with a green, yellow and red parrot feathers
    You can always go with some warm water flies, but study the possibilities. I had a tail feather from a big blue macaw, the feather was blue on the front and golden yellow on the reverse side. If the barbs are very wide they may be white in the middle. Experimentation is called for young man.
    Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 11-29-2012 at 07:52 PM.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread