+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fishing in Chile

Default Fishing in Chile

Has anyone been fishing in Chile?
    Looking to tie flies for there, what worked best?
    Bob.

Go ahead and break my heart. One of my greatest regrets when I left Holiday Inn was the General Manager in Santiago had promised to take me fishing in the south of Chile the next trip I made down there. Alas
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I envy you your trip to Chile!

Never been and don't know anyone who has but maybe this site will be of some help.

http://www.argentinachileflyfishing....rns/index.html
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Blog Entries

Don't the beans get hung up on the hook?

Sorry, just had to do that.

Have a great trip.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Sorry Larry, that was just weak [grin].

Krauseb: No experience with Chile (you didn't mention which part, and will have to assume the quarry is trout), but just over the border in Argentina, they fish the same stuff we do, with perhaps a greater emphasis on streamers (simple ones, such as the Woolly Bugger). Only "unique" fly I've seen to date are pancora patterns which is a local crustacean. Run the name through google and you'll find a bunch of simple paterns.

Yeah -- been to Chile a couple of times. Great trip -- and thinking about going again next February.

Took tons of flies but in the end, primarily used streamers like the bigger sized wooly buggers, seal buggers, bow river buggers -- lots of buggers, a few articulated leech patterns but they are a pain as far as I am concerned. Also fished in a place where there were a lot of hoppers so take some hopper patterns, maybe some beetle patterns. Didn't fish many dries but some. Basically the same stuff that you would use here. Did not use the pancora crab pattern but I had them.

I almost forgot -- Chernobyl Ants also
    Last edited by Orthoman; 11-28-2012 at 07:22 PM.

Blog Entries

I have been fishing in Southern Chile two times. Stayed in Coyhaique (sp?). Had a great guide out of that cit. His name is Claudio Ramos. He is pretty well known and has his own web site as well. I think if you google "Claudio Ramos fishing guide in Coyhaique" you will get his site. He may now offer his own accommodations although they will be a little rougher than a real lodge. He was guiding through a small lodge we stayed in there in Coyhaique. It was La Pasarela (sp?). I will look up the spelling for you. The lodge has a web site.

The flies are pretty much what is used here in the US. Lot of dry fly action and hopper/droppers. If you go waaayyy south, you will use different stuff for the big sea run trout.

Mid-Jan through late February probably the best time to be there.

We flew from Santiago. The standard jet flight is about 500-600 RT from Santiago to Coyhaque as I recall. The airline is LAN which is a good airline.

With our guide, he picked us up at the La Pasarela Lodge after breakfast and brought us back for a late dinner that night. The food and accommodations there were good.

There are lodges and guides even closer to the action than the one in Coyhaique, but I believe they are quite a bit more expensive.

If you go to this link and select Coyhaique under "locations" you will read about La Pasarela Lodge

http://www.anglingintheandes.com/lodgelocations.htm
    My son with
    A nice big brown!

Last edited by Byron haugh; 11-28-2012 at 09:08 PM.

+ Reply to Thread