+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Preparing some of the finer things in life

Blog Entries

Uncle Jesse, there are some guys growing giant Aussie prawns in Tennessee, too. They keep saying they'll sell them in local grocery stores, but most of them seem to be bought on the farms and never get to stores in Nashville.

Ed

I am somewhat surprised because I remember water temperature in south MS and the Delta being an issue initially. But I can understand buying them at poolside. My ex-brother in law was a shrimper for a while, I remember visiting them for a few days, boiled shrimp, followed by fried shrimp and stuffed shrimp for dinner on consecutive days. I never met a shrimp I didn't like.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Salt and pepper catfish filets. My all time favorite fish dinner!!

Internet photo. Don't know what the sauce is......I don't need any accoutrements! Just fries and cole slaw!
    Last edited by bobbyg; 11-27-2012 at 04:07 PM.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyg View Post
    Salt and pepper catfish filets. My all time favorite fish dinner!!
    Internet photo. Don't know what the sauce is......I don't need any accoutrements! Just fries and cole slaw!
    Darn it Bobby, now you got me wanting something hard to find around here. I recently read the folks over in catfishing farming country like to cook their fish in cotton seed oil that it imparted a nut like taste to it. I know my mom adds a little Tony Cachre's to her cornmeal when frying catfish but down in Louisiana I think they use Tony's and Tabasco in everything except cakes and pies.

When I see a sauce that color, I automatically think "1,000 Island salad dressing". However, this being served with fish, it's possible Remoulaude Sauce.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    Darn it Bobby, now you got me wanting something hard to find around here. I recently read the folks over in catfishing farming country like to cook their fish in cotton seed oil that it imparted a nut like taste to it. I know my mom adds a little Tony Cachre's to her cornmeal when frying catfish but down in Louisiana I think they use Tony's and Tabasco in everything except cakes and pies.
    Uncle Jesse, see if Rio Vista is still in business and still world-class. Their hush puppies were the best I've ever eaten.
    Catfish need hush puppies on the side.

Ed

I don't know alot but do know the Carolinas know there fish fry! I lived down there for about six months, my brother being a Marine has lived down there for years, Seemed like everywhere I went there they have fish fry going on and dang its good...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Quote Originally Posted by EdD View Post
    Uncle Jesse, see if Rio Vista is still in business and still world-class. Their hush puppies were the best I've ever eaten. Catfish need hush puppies on the side. Ed
    Ed, according to info on the internet Rio Vista closed due to the owner's health issues and there is info the daughter opened another in Jackson, GA which is an hour or more drive for me. I go spoiled when I lived in Tupelo and then around Memphis. There is a good catfish restaurant on about every major road leading to and from Tupelo and Memphis has over 80 BBQ restaurant in the phone book.

As far hushpuppies, I need to go visit my brother and sister in law in north Mississippi. On a bad year he will harvest about 500 crappie, several years ago he had a limit with a 2 lb. average. And Jill absolutely make the best hushpuppies you have ever put in your mouth. It's not catfish, it's better than catfish.

Did someone say crappies??

That did it! My brother and I will be headed out to one of our favorite farm ponds Saturday morning.
    It just happens to be loaded with white crappies. Although they're on the smallish size we can still catch
    enough to make a fish fry worthwhile! Where's my fillet knife??
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

You know that when the Lord dropped the manna from the sky for the children of Israel it was really crappie filets.

+ Reply to Thread