+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cabela's Fly Fishing University

Default Cabela's Fly Fishing University

Cabela's web site has an online fly fishing university with good information and terminology for beginners.

http://www.cabelas.com/assets/cms/im...3Bcat112554180

It covers topics of fly reels, rods, line, leaders, basic entomology, casting and knots. When the course is completed you get a code that is good for a free one year membership in the Federation of Fly Fishers. It can be completed in about 15 - 20 minutes.

So does this web site here, http://www.flyanglersonline.com/beginnermenu.php. Likely the best information for the beginner found anywhere online. Membership to this site is free and you don't have to have a code.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Blog Entries

Wait, you can complete the flyfishing university in 15-20 minutes? And here I spend the last 35 plus years learning this stuff. I knew I was doing it the hard way.

I second Kerry's recommendation of using this site.

NewTyer 1 Guest

I feel the Orvis website, learn to fly fish is pretty good. I learned a lot from it starting out.

Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    Wait, you can complete the flyfishing university in 15-20 minutes? And here I spend the last 35 plus years learning this stuff. I knew I was doing it the hard way.

I second Kerry's recommendation of using this site.
    So DG, you expected their site to replace 35 years of learning? Wow... I guess my 5 years in college was a waste when I could have just waited to get the 35 years of knowledge too! My guess is the Cabela's Begginner guide probably does the same as the FAOL Beginner's guide. 15-20 minutes of reading to get your feet wet.
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

[QUOTE=branhap;467482]So DG, you expected their site to replace 35 years of learning?

Huh? I guess I missed whatever is in DG's post that is offensive. At least DG wasn't calling people names. Perhaps you need a cup or two also.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

[QUOTE=branhap;467482]So DG, you expected their site to replace 35 years of learning? Wow... I guess my 5 years in college was a waste when I could have just waited to get the 35 years of knowledge too! My guess is the Cabela's Begginner guide probably does the same as the FAOL Beginner's guide. 15-20 minutes of reading to get your feet wet.

Hey branhap! I think you missed the "tongue-in-cheek" tone in DG's post. And, just to stir the pot...

Folks here don't respond well to name-calling. Even of you do use *** instead of the actual word.

NewTyer 1 Guest

I myself thought the post was an attempt to help out some of the new guys of fly fishing. Now I realize that we have a beginners guide here but, did not know that for quite some time. It also gives you the opportunity to become a member of the IFFF which, I will hopefully be the President of the Mid-Atlantic Region. This Organization helps out a great deal with conservation and fisheries and is worth supporting. That alone is worth the 15-20 minutes spent on the Cabelas website. The University as it is called is in know way going to replace the wealth of knowledge here and in the beginners page but, if we continue to down someone for making a post like that, especially if it saves having to answer the same questions over and over again by new fisherman, isn't that worth the post? Just my thought on the subject and I am certainly in no way trying to start an arguement, just my opinion.

cmcculloch, thanks for the post

+ Reply to Thread