+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breathable Waders

Default Breathable Waders

Hi -
    Haven't been visiting here, or fishing much lately. Things have slowed down to where I should have more time for both. I'm in the market for some new breathables. Could I get some recommendations? Unlike some of you lucky folks, I probably spend less than twenty days per year on the water, so I can't justify the really expensive ones. Thanks for your help.
    George

How many days a year do you fish? Take this into consideration.

I can usually get about 200 days out of a pair of guide weight waders.

The more money you spend the more days you will get out of them.

That said, for the money I would consider silver label Orvis's.

At $189 they are fairly reasonable for what you get and should last at least 100 or more days with proper care.

Dan Bailey waders might be another good option. I have not used them for a number of years but in the past I have had good luck with them.

I think you can find them in the $200 range.

Rob

So,,, you don't care if they leak? Or, 20 days per year X ten years = 200 days of use. A dollar a day, right? (for cheap ones.) Or $2 a day for good ones. ($400.00) ?

DH picked up a pair last Fall when the fishing items were on sale. He tried them out couple times this Spring and loves them. He wished he bought them years ago. Now he's trying to get me to get a set.

Anything Simm's, would be recommendation. Still made in the good 'ol USA...well, they're waders anyway. I've had my guideweights for 3 yrs. so far and they've blown away any of the other, cheaper waders i've used.
    Castwell's right. Go with the good ones. You'll save big time in aggrevation alone.

I agree with PSPaint. I just stumbled upon a huge sale on Simms Guide waders and grabbed a pair for around 200 bucks. I didn't really think that there was a huge difference, but let me tell you - I love these things. It was 80 out the other day and I could stand to drive home in them (dont ask...)without becomming drenched in sweat. The extra money does pay off in the long run. One thing I urge you to consider, is how much time you spend on the ground. Some of the limestone streams around here demand a careful approach. I know that the extra money I spent is paying off with those re-enforced knee pads...something to consider. Also, DianeID, i'm confused...picked up a pair of what, breathables?

I recently agaonized my way through this one and decided on the new version of the Cabela's. I just couldn't get to the point based on the input I got from asking on two boards where I could justify the added expense of Simms. I had a good experience with my last pair and they have since been improved to fix that pair's major deficiency.

I used a small part of my "savings" to buy some hippers. The hippers are not breathable, but who cares with hippers? They'll get their first trial on a small high mountain stream that requires some hiking tomorrow. I plan to carry a plastic garbage bag for times when I want to sit down.

Yup, Frank, ain't these boards wonderful as a source of ideas!

GBurgFisher--yes, a pair of breathables. I didn't post a name because I have no idea what brand. DH does. He bought them, he wears them and trying to get a pair for me. I did try them on, but maybe it's me. I don't mind getting wet, and the water isn't that cold to me.

Diane
    (Waiting for the river to lower)
    [Well, the water right now is a bit chilly, but it's snowmelt...what can I say?]

Hodgman.

That's the brand he bought. We're not sure how they will perform in the long run, but they've been used twice this year in fairly rough areas. (With the river at flood stage, we're limited to res., lakes, ponds.) The price was right (on sale), and it's hard to find anything that will fit his foot and height.

+ Reply to Thread