+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive But Which Would You Buy?

Default Inexpensive But Which Would You Buy?

Okay, some of us can only think about the vise we would buy if funds were not a consideration and that's understandable. BUT, how about this reasonably inexpensive item. Question #1:
    Which 'ONE' of the commercially made or bastardized 'hackle plier' would you buy if you had acess to all the ones you've heard about, read about, or seen in any catalogs? Question #2: Why would you buy that particular plier?

Allan

Of the "hackle pliers" I have used I like the electrical test clips from Radio Shack the best. Not sure that answers your question but I don't know of any I would chose if I had to pick only one. They are inexpensive, versatile, and hold a feather or rubber leg well, you do need to "deburr" them a little with some extra fine sandpaper.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I've had 4 - 5 different "Hackle Pliers" but have to go with Jessy's answer. The test clips are especially good for hackling small fly's.

I am with Jesse and Jack. I have tried many and only use the test clips. Hold well and are small enough that they do not get in the way of tying off material.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

My fav is what the Dette's used, a Bull Dog artery clamp. Hols well does not slip in the hand and has weight to keep material in place.

While I have a ton of test clips and I use them a lot in tying, I never use them for hackle pliers. I much prefer J.Dorin style hackle pliers which are light enough for even smaller flies. They are not much more expensive than Radio Shack test clips, and are much easier to manipulate in my opinion.

AlanB Guest

If anyone ever discovers a really good hackle plier they'll make a fortune. All the ones I've tried range from poor to useless, and I've tried a lot! However, I'd be lost without my small English hackle pliers. Not often used in the conventional way but very handy for lots of other jobs.

If I was really stuck for hackle pliers I would scrounge a wire coat hanger and employ my Leatherman and a broom handle to make some of these up.

If anyone is interested I have a series of step by step photos.

Cheers,
    A.

Quote Originally Posted by narcodog View Post
    My fav is what the Dette's used, a Bull Dog artery clamp. Hols well does not slip in the hand and has weight to keep material in place.
    There are different styles ...which do you recommend and how about a source?

Okay, well I guess I should answer my own question. I like the 'teardrop' style hackle pliers that I believe are made by Dorin. I also like the Radio Shack clips. Both however, I feel are just a little too light weight so I tape some lead to the bottom of each. Those are my choices.

Allan

I have bought several kinds of hackle pliers. I don't really feel that any work particularly well so I end up using whichever comes to hand when I can't get by with my fingers.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

+ Reply to Thread