+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dropper Flies

Default Dropper Flies

Hey Gang, Been trying out the use of dropper flies. Any thoughts on how to rig them? I tie a length of tippit mat. on at the hook bend. See Ya

------------------
    Bruce

TO AUTUMN SUN,
    TO GOLDEN ALE,
    TO ROD and GUN,
    TO WILY QUAIL,

Whether I tie them on the hook bend or to the tag end of the first fly's knot, they still result in me spending more time untangling Gordian knots than I get to spend with the fly in the water.

I've stopped using droppers until I can have enough time to fix my casting to adjust for them. My time on the water is too infrequent and valuable to me to put up with the untangling of the snarls.

I do plan to fix this some day, but not while my water time is so limited.

Hey Bruce,
    I have always tied them off the bend of the first hook, and have had little to no problems with tangling. I vary the length from the first fly to the dropper, but generally I tie it 18-24 inches behind. I have heard of some people using a tag end of a blood not as a dropper but have little experience with this personally. Best of luck!
    -Erik

Hello Bruce I have always fished with a minimum of 2 flys and mostly tie them of the bend like you, exept if using wee wets when I generaly tie them to the tag end of a triple surgeons knot. This alows more movement in the current to each fly without pulling against the rest of the team as much. However if you use this set up you do need to open up your casting loop a bit or you will get some unbelievable tangles.

if you are getting tangles you loops are to tight, open them up or let the line flaten out behind you more, it is okay to take a peek over your sholder to check.

I too often use a dropper fly and tie onto the bend . My problem with the dropper is when releasing a fish caught on the main fly, the dropper gets tangled on the fish and either rehooks the fish or impales itself into ME.

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

+ Reply to Thread