+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spider Pic

Default Spider Pic

Last week I was walking along the Savage River in western MD when I came across this spider, anyone see one this color before or do you know what the name of this spider is?

NewTyer 1 Guest

Looks like an easy tie.

Looks like an orange marbled weaver. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araneus_marmoreus

In our garden this year, the tomato plants were host to quite a number of this common member of the weaver family, the garden orb.
    First time ever, not a single horn worm.

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by dudley View Post
    In our garden this year, the tomato plants were host to quite a number of this common member of the weaver family, the garden orb.
    First time ever, not a single horn worm.

I've seen, and I even think I have some photos of the yellow ones. I never knew what they were. I found mine along a small spring creek.

NewTyer 1 Guest

What does the bottom of the spider look like. If it's the same one I have in my flower bed, I think it has maybe yellow stripes underneath. I am assuming they are harmless?

Thanks guys, I have seen many of the black and yellow varieties but never a orange one.

Rodney

Blog Entries

The big black and yellow garden spiders are known to trap and eat huming birds. Hence it has been many years since one appeared in my garden. I relocated all of them to the fencerow at the back of the yard. The local thrush and finch population seemed appreciative.

Ed

The info about the humming birds is good to know, I will be sure the don't build where that will happen. However, we maintain a healthy population of Carolina Wren and Brown Thrush, which probably take care of them before I know they are around.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

NewTyer 1 Guest

I too have Carolina wrens, they are my favorite. I think I like them because they are loners and sleep where they can find a place for the night. They used to sleep ontop of the pillers on my back porch at night. This year for the first time in my life, I saw a ruby hummingbird moth. That was pretty awesome. The spider is a first. Up north in Mass. we got Garden spiders but looked slightly different. So, are they harmful to humans?

+ Reply to Thread