+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: A Poll: What is the most technically challenging Water you have fished?

Easily the Ranch section of Henry's Fork.
    "Angling is tightly woven in a fabric of moral, social, and philosophical threads which are not easily rent by the violent climate of our times."
    -A.J. McClane
    "Song of the Angler" (1967)

NewTyer 1 Guest

I think the South River in VA.

I have fished Black Earth crick many times as my home base is about 12 miles away. It's where I learned and I can attest it very difficult. Heavy,heavy pressure. Any where else in Wisconsin (like the Driftless area) you almost expect to catch a fish every cast( not quite but almost). This crick is challenging and has made me a humble person. They know when you leave the house and spook and go deep at that very moment.

For my 2 cents worth it would have to be Cedar Run, very difficult terrain with tropical looking water falls, very pretty. The terrain is so tight climbing over trees and boulders, your coming over a boulder and wow theres a nice hole except your right on top of the hole... The Brookies get to see you b-$ you see them ... I don't recommend fishing this one alone because it is rough going, but I do recommend bring a lunch, when the water is up in the spring the scenery is awesome .... Oh I don't walk the trail up, at the first crossing, I take the river up........

PS: Very tight casting even in the big holes, thats ok, when your tying on the new fly cause you lost the other in th foiledge, it gives the hole time to settle down.
    Last edited by Grubb; 10-30-2012 at 10:08 AM.
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    Ever fish Black Earth Creek, Silver?
    You live in Gary Borger's original location, don't you?
    I have not. It is far enough away that it requires a long drive there and back. Like any water, it would require some time to get to know the river and I just haven't put the time in.

I have 3 trout streams within an hour's drive that I would rather spend my time fishing on than driving to BEC.

As to my choice of the Nature Conservancy section of Silver Creek, I once spend a whole day there in which I did not see a single fly fisher catch a single fish. And yet, you could see the fish actively feeding. It is maddening.

It is one thing to think there are fish feeding and not catch them; but on Silver Creek, you can see the fish feeding and not be able to catch them. That is the frustrating part.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Hi EdD
    I remember seeing a 14 year old boy take a 18" Rainbow out of the breadhole on a Bunny Streamer while the rest of us were feeding our faces.
    FatBill

Kinda outside the orginal rules but:

Local state trout hatchery. Techical challenges include getting in on the new moon, finding the proper camo, minimizing noise of equipment and the fighting fish. Further challenges include tying on flies in the dark, netting the fish, circumventing the automatic headlights and brake lights for the getaway.

Easily the most technically challenging water, and after my third arrest, another challenge arrived...getting out of the county hoosegow to make the next attempt...good thing there's an arts and crafts room, and the warden needs elk hair caddis...
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

I will throw up a third vote for the Farmington- greenwoods, church pool, school bus, when there is a hatch on the trout have their PHD some times I think they can even tell were the fly came from. I witnessed many times of a large 20" plus brown refuse naturals becuase they were not sitting just right. can you say over fished. I have fished the West Branch of Delaware and they are fussy but only have BA degree. the Latort fish are fussy *** well but if you stay low and quiet and present the fly right they can be had. On eof our customers travels a lot and has fished the Ranch and silver creek and he said the farmington in the TMA section easily rivals them. it is not due to overly wild fish or even hard to reach fish it is due to the never ending pressure the river gets they have been conditioned to avoid anything not just right.

steve

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

All of them. If you have ever watched me cast, you know I am telling the truth. I have to be the worst fly-caster on the planet.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FatBill View Post
    Hi EdD
    I remember seeing a 14 year old boy take a 18" Rainbow out of the breadhole on a Bunny Streamer while the rest of us were feeding our faces.
    FatBill
    Bill, there is a rightness with the world. Thanks for letting me in on it.

Ed

+ Reply to Thread