+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Style Extended Body

Blog Entries

Default Old Style Extended Body

Remember this old style way of tying an extended body flies? This one is tied with a teal feather. The thing I like about this method is the durability and the way the tail fibers' separation is maintained.

Anyone else still tie these?

Last edited by Byron haugh; 10-20-2012 at 06:35 PM.

I do tie that style quite a bit. I like it a lot, and it catches a lot of fish. So simple, and it works.

AlanB Guest

Try tying it with a CdC feather
    Cheers,
    A.

I find the durability comment perplexing. I use wonder wings a lot - I love the look and that they hold their shape. But they aren't exactly durable. The wings need to be checked after each hook up to make sure a trout's teeth didn't cut individual fibers. On a good day, I'm probably "fixing" the wings a lot.

Is teal or CDC more durable than hen cape?

Blog Entries

Steven,
    I realize that I screwed up. Mine is actually a pintail feather of a wood duck. It does hold up pretty well.
    Post a pic of your wonder wing flies.

Byron,

You may possibly disagree but there was/is a style of fly called the 'Riffle Dun'. I won't name the tyer who, at least in one major fly tying book, is credited with its creation because that too might start some disagreeable comments. The style pattern you picture is somewhat similar. Oh, at the same time as the Riffle Dun style was developed, another pattern style known as the 'Two Feather Fly' or 'HatchMaster' was also developed but by another tyer. It was not a parachute style though. Both of these styles lend themselves to various recipies and therefore imitations of many insects. Both styles are ver effective.
    Steven - Both of the fly styles I mention, when tyed properly, are just as durable as most other dry flies.

Allan

Blog Entries

Why would opposing views on a subject be "disagreeable comments"? Just the nature of a discussion.
    I do believe that Walt Dette tied a fly he called the "riffle dun".

Hi Byron,

I can't tell how you tied the extended body and tail.

Is it a flank feather trimmed and rolled a bit around the hook shank to form the extended body, and with the tail being a few barbules extending back after the center of the feather is cut off? It looks like the extended body may be trimmed a bit toward where the tail flares out. to make the body more slender.

Would you show a picture of the fly from above, etc., so it can be seen better, and describe a bit about how the extended body is tied?

The fly looks great! Thanks for posting it.

This kind of post is what has made this such a great site over the years! Good job Byron.

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf
    Last edited by Gandolf; 10-20-2012 at 08:37 PM.

Blog Entries

Thanks Gandolf,
    The body is made slender by simply stroking and pinching the feather fibers forward. Yes, the split tail is achieved by cutting the center of the extended part of the feather away.
    It is certainly an old style pattern. I will try to post a pic of the fly from above and I think it will become more clear.

Top view. I notice that I should have brought the fibers in tighter to make a "skinnier" body.

A "not quite in focus" pmd sparkle dun version

Last edited by Byron haugh; 10-19-2012 at 08:56 PM.

Just wondering what "durable" means to you all, in terms, say, of 10" to 15" trout in moving water ??

John
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread