+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't have a Norvise..............

Blog Entries

Default Don't have a Norvise..............

Hi,
    I tried a Norvise about 15 years ago. It is a great device, but just wasn't for me. Guess I'm too stuck in my ways. Anyway, I always wished I could "spin" dubbing as he does when tying an extended body fly.

Today, I tried my first extended body using a variable speed drill and a needle (and a bit of dubbing wax).

Now, don't let the finished fly deter you. It worked great, but I just don't tie many extended body flies.

I think I should have applied more pressure to get the dubbing on tighter as the needle was spinning. The point is, the procedure worked very well - just this particular tier's first attempt wasn't too good:
    I think others will enjoy doing this.

Nice, Byron. Have two questions: (1) What dubbing did you choose? Appears to be poly. (2) Norm instructs to apply water-based cement to the body extension; did you apply anything other than the wax (which I assume was dabbed on the bare needle)?

I don't want to hijack your thread, but I'd be curious if others who have utilized this "spinning needle" technique have found importance in applying cement.

Blog Entries

Take the thread anywhere you wish. The dubbing was Hareline microfine. I would have tried head cement, but couldn't locate mine. Also thought of a drop of Zap-a-Gap, but didn't.

AlanB Guest

There's no need to motorise this procedure, in fact if you just do it on a dubbing needle and turn it in your fingers you have more control. If you want to make your own tool then place a small needle alongside the base of the main needle and there is no need then to use the wax. Simply trap the dubbing between the two needles and wind it on. You can use thinned down PVA glue (add 50% water) to make the whole thing rigid.

C&F Make a tool for this. Though, like most C&F stuff, it is expensive. Here's a link to a tutorial for using it. Here it is used in a vice. My preference is to do it "in hand".
    Cheers,
    A.

Blog Entries

Water-based head cement is just watered down wood finish (water-based Varathane "Diamondthane" is what I use) and a little bit goes a LONG way...

Blog Entries

Gave it another try this morning. Kind of liking the way the dubbing spins onto the microfibets.

Now you got me thinking about a foot pedal for my drill.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

Jesse,
    You really don't need one. If you have the drill standing up, you dress the needle with wax or other substance; lay the fibetts in place; then with one hand, operate the speed of the drill on the trigger and, with the other, hold the dubbing material near the spinning needle....................Really doesn't require two free hands.

Interesting approach to extended body flies, which are a mainstay for my dry fly fishing.

Wondering how much "body" the extended body has ?? Is it stiff, or relatively flexible. If flexible, does it return to the original shape after it has been flexed ?? Any idea how flies made with this technique will stand up to being eaten by the fishies ??

John
    The fish are always right.

Good questions John, obviously more testing is needed.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread