+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Those of Us Who Carry Lots of Flies

Blog Entries

Default For Those of Us Who Carry Lots of Flies

Hi,

I was sitting at the bar in the Trouthunter Fly Shop's bar/grill going through a big box of flies. One of the owners came over and showed me a product they sell. It is not very expensive and I got one. I think others like myself might be interested as well. It is a lightweight, handled plastic carrying case with quite a few plastic, four divided fly containers which slide into a pre-cut foam liner.

It was $24.95 there.

I found something similar at Wildcat Creek. It is a cylinder that holds six of the snuff tins.

That's a pretty clever design. I have a tackle bag that has slots in the front that holds the Plano type plastic boxes. Byron, what are the external dimensions of that box? I wonder if I could use those in place of the Plano boxes for smaller sized flies.

Brian

I found the source:
    http://www.tidycrafts.com/servlet/the-60/JamPac-Bead-Organizer-Travel/Detail

Byron, I have to admit YOURS is cooler, since it has the Trout Hunter logo!
    Thanks for the tip, might have to order a couple!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Blog Entries

Dave,

Would be great if you ordered one from TroutHunter. They ship fly tying material and other products! They have a website at Trouthunt.com
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 10-03-2012 at 07:41 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bgreer View Post
    That's a pretty clever design. I have a tackle bag that has slots in the front that holds the Plano type plastic boxes. Byron, what are the external dimensions of that box? I wonder if I could use those in place of the Plano boxes for smaller sized flies.

Brian

Brian,

11X9X3

AlanB Guest

When I looked at Dave's link I noticed this at the bottom of the page. http://www.tidycrafts.com/servlet/th...2C-bead/Detail
    Now one of those would hold tying tools in the top and be superb dubbing material storage. You could drill a 1/4" hole into each compartment to access the dubbing. That could find a place on my tying bench.
    Cheers,
    C.

Clever but doesn't carry enough flies. And look at all that wasted space between the containers (grin)! I think bgreer has it right. If you need a lot of space, stackable Plano boxes in soft-sided tackle boxes like the bass fishers use is a much more effective solution.

Here's the one that I use:

http://www.basspro.com/XPS-Stalker-F...duct/10208746/

It's not a streamside bag by any means. But it's great to carry everything in.
    I bought one at my local BPS store and it came with all of the Plano style boxes include.
    The boxes came with dividers, but not enough for small flies. I got more dividers from Plano.
    With all the dividers in one of the 370 / 3700 style boxes, there are 46 compartments.
    It holds five of these boxes in the front load compartment. It also holds two 360 / 3600 style boxes in the side pockets. The top-load compartment isn't huge, but it's enough to hold several reels/spools.
    There are also pockets on the front and back that I use for leaders and tippets. There's also a flap on the side with loops for holding tools.

I thought maybe the Jam Pac cases would fit in the front loader spots, but they are an inch too tall. The only bad thing about the Plano type boxes are that small flies can "jump" from one compartment to another. I could solve this with a little dab of glue or goop, but just haven't taken the time.

Brian

I was looking at the TidyCraft site and there are a lot of possibilities for my tying desk and flies. There are some great bead organizers, etc.

+ Reply to Thread