+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best flies for Pen raised Trout

Default Best flies for Pen raised Trout

Where I live in New mexico there are a few private Ranch areas that spill into public sections.

My quesiton is what do these big Rainbows feed on since not use to bugs and are pellet fed?

Any fly recomendations or theory's on targeting these beasts that escape the pen?

Thanks

Well I am new to fly fishing and dont have a definite answer, but I would imagine that though they are raised in a pen they would still be apt to eat insects when they get out, especially as they get hungry. This is just a guess but I would think that not seeing alot of different insects they may be less selective than say a wild or stocked trout when feeding, and would feed on most things that will fit in to there mouth. (lol) At least for a bit. So, if I were trying to catch these fish I would just go with what is abundant and go from there maybe some streamers etc.. This is just a guess but I think its reasonable.

Good luck
    wireguy

If your fishing for large trout that are used to feeding on pellets, then use a Hare's Ear Nymph of similar color and size.

------------------
    John G.
    Colorado Springs, CO

I just stocked a bunch of pellet fish for the fishing derby and we found black flies to work well. Prince Nymphs for example.

jed

Here in the UK,especialy in southern England, rainbows grown to a good size in pens are stocked into reservoirs and small private waters. Often the best flies for them seem to be marabou winged flies in all colours. They will often take anything that catches their eye. They can often be quite greedy about it as they seem to stick together when loose and are very competative about food. Try Cat's Whisker, Dog Nobbler in various colours. Have a look in Google at UK sites, there are lots of flies in this category.

------------------
    Donald/Scotland
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

Thanks for the replies. I am just trying to keen in on the best flies possible seeing how so far I've nailed them on the following thats working:
    San Juan worms
    Hares Ear
    Copper Johns
    Prince
    Bead head Prince

These all have made up 80% of the catches so far in the last 5 trips. They have not keyed in on normal bugs thoug ie: BWO covered he water last week and they did nothing?

Trout-Dawg

I know most people are opposed to using any scent, but if you are after the fish and not the true definition of flyfishing, then soaking it in the juice from a can of sweetcorn can be deadly.

If the fish have been in the water any length of time, they will have turned to natural feed unless they are still pellet feeding them on site, so all the usual flies for the given area will work.

------------------
    Born to fish, forced to work.

ide say use some small nymphs under and indicator or slowly stripped...scuds leeches or mayfly nymphs like pheasent tails would be best...there pretty much a staple in and pond or lake

Thanks for the messages, we'll see if a few of these work, I'm headed out tomorrow again and will see what works.

TroutDawg [url=http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cotrout/:95619]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cotrout/[/url:95619]

+ Reply to Thread